Spoilt Cake

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A0503 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at some of the responses that say 'its just a cake', let it go. Its not just a cake, its £300!

It doesn't matter what it is - if you have paid money for an agreed service and the service you receive is unsatisfactory then you should raise it. The cake maker is unprofessional and lazy. £300 is a lot of money and for that cake I would be asking for a full refund too.

She can't really ask for a full refund if the cake has been eaten.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

And if I were that upset I'd have sent one of the groomsmen off to buy one
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Callie - do people really think these cakes just stand up on their own?

They do indeed ... To be fair, if it's not something you've 'studied' then it's probably not something you'd know about, but having looked at the pictures it does look like the bottom tier was dowelled, but my guess is that wasn't done properly (and to me it looks like it's been transported stacked, which is just daft). Looking at the pictures with a professional eye, it's not a very good job - the fondant icing is lumpy and chipped, the tiers aren't spaced evenly and it's not been finished neatly. It isn't a very professional job. I get that £300 isn't top dollar pricing but ultimately if you're charging for a job the expectation is that it'll be a bit more than just adequate. That really isn't. If I were the baker in this case I'd offer a refund and an apology, but that's more about my professional pride!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A0503 wrote: »
    PollyCat.. if the baker felt like she couldn't achieve the standards required then why not raise this with the customer prior to the wedding? Instead, she made a badly made cake, used the weather as an excuse and then made no effort to apologise to the customer. That is lazy customer service.

No it's not lazy.
    It could be a number of things
    over-estimation of her own ability
    unfamiliarity with ingredients coupled with higher temperatures than she's used to
    unfamiliarity with transporting cakes over that distance

FTR - you didn't say 'lazy' customer service'. You just said 'lazy'.

Do we know it was a 'badly made cake'?
    The OP didn't say her guests didn't like the taste.

Either on this thread or the other, I've already said that I think the fact that the baker didn't proactively contact the OP shows a lack of customer first attitude.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

£300 sounds like a lot of money to me!

We paid £500 and got: custom design, guaranteed allergy (treenjt and peanut) friendly, 4 tiers all different flavours (our tiers were all the same size due to design), transport in refrigerated van and 2 gluten free cupcakes.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    We paid £500 and got: custom design, guaranteed allergy (treenjt and peanut) friendly, 4 tiers all different flavours (our tiers were all the same size due to design), transport in refrigerated van and 2 gluten free cupcakes.

You're joking, right? !!!!!! is treenjt anyway?

We got a three tier fruit cake. It didn't look quite like we expected but, hey ho, it's a cake. It tasted fine. Not that there was much left.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Could someone enlighten me, as I've never even thought about what a wedding cake would cost... how much do people normally pay for them?

£300 sounds like a lot of money to me!

Mine was about £900 (significantly more than my dress). It was worth every single penny.

I've made cakes for weddings and I'd charge more than £300 for a 3 tier cake.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You're joking, right? !!!!!! is treenjt anyway?

We got a three tier fruit cake. It didn't look quite like we expected but, hey ho, it's a cake. It tasted fine. Not that there was much left.

Yeah it's tree nut, I'm severely allergic so fruit cake is an absolute no for me. Even if we managed to get a guaranteed nut free fruit mix we couldn't ice it traditionally with marzipan. My cousin is also severely allergic to peanuts, can't even be in the same room as one so we needed a bakery that would guarantee no cross contamination. I didn't fancy landing in hospital on my wedding day.

Food was a big part of our wedding, we are big food people from 2 cultures that really value food and our wedding reflected that. Our cake was supposed to serve 250 people (wedding for 100), we had 100 people worth of cheese as our other cake, we gave out little boxes so people could take a piece of one layer to have at the wedding and take another piece home or take home cheese for later as we served meat as the main and we have family who still keep kosher. My gran called my mum a couple days later asking if we had any cake left because she wanted more and there was none! We literally had enough for my in laws to serve with tea for 8 the next day, box 3 pieces up for terminal relatives who couldn't make it and that was it.

We missed out stuff that wasn't important to us that other people had, chair covers, aisle runners and decor like that as our venue was nice enough without all that.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Callie22 wrote: »
    They do indeed ... To be fair, if it's not something you've 'studied' then it's probably not something you'd know about, but having looked at the pictures it does look like the bottom tier was dowelled, but my guess is that wasn't done properly (and to me it looks like it's been transported stacked, which is just daft). Looking at the pictures with a professional eye, it's not a very good job - the fondant icing is lumpy and chipped, the tiers aren't spaced evenly and it's not been finished neatly. It isn't a very professional job. I get that £300 isn't top dollar pricing but ultimately if you're charging for a job the expectation is that it'll be a bit more than just adequate. That really isn't. If I were the baker in this case I'd offer a refund and an apology, but that's more about my professional pride!

To me it looks much like my first attempt at a stacked cake! Which got fed to my colleagues as it was just me having a first go. I had the sense to cover up the worst with piping/decorations though...

If the OP is still reading - divide the price by the number of people and ask yourself if it was a fair price per person. That might help the perspective a bit? Compare to a McDonald's dessert, a muffin in a cafe and some fancy pretty dessert at a nice restaurant perhaps?
  • G4.
    G4. Posts: 16 Forumite
    Mine was about £900 (significantly more than my dress). It was worth every single penny.

I've made cakes for weddings and I'd charge more than £300 for a 3 tier cake.

Anyone who'd pay £900 for a flippin cake has got more money than sense!

(Speaking on a money saving website :D )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure