New £1 Coin - Car Parks

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    So far I have only had one new pound coin in my change. Still plenty of old ones about.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would bite the hand off anyone who said I could park for 8 hours for £2.95 let alone £2.50

If I want to go to the local shopping centre its £3 / hour, unless the parking gods are with me and I manage to find one of the rare 50p/hour bays.

The parking apps do have the bonus in that you can "top up" your ticket if you need to stay longer without the hassle of going back to your car. Plus no need to have stacks of change rattling around.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    sheramber wrote: »
    So far I have only had one new pound coin in my change. Still plenty of old ones about.
    You must be out in the wilds...they are over 50% around here
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Our Tesco shopping trolleys only take the old ones, so the service counter has to sell them to people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    marlot wrote: »
    Or the option I did, which was to visit the bank and buy a couple of bags of old £1 coins to keep in the car.
    The Bank gave you old coins?

That's unusual, it's normally banks who ensure they are gradually withdrawn from circulation by NOT giving them to customers,,
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    But at the point of trying to pay you are paying before a service. It only becomes a debt after you leave without paying.

So totally ignore the legal tender/debt myth

You know what tongue in cheek means right? Meant jokingly, not sincere, not to be taken serious?

Its not a myth, its just not applicable in OP's circumstances.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You know what tongue in cheek means right? Meant jokingly, not sincere, not to be taken serious?

Its not a myth, its just not applicable in OP's circumstances.

Legal tender is myth in that it has no meaning or relevance these days as even the Royal Mint state.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Legal tender is myth in that it has no meaning or relevance these days as even the Royal Mint state.

Cite your source please, because this page from royal mint seems to contradict what you've said.

As does this page from Bank of England

It is still very much relevant in todays day & age (at least in E&W) - as noted by the other poster who commented on it, it applies after the debt is created but not before. In parking, its the difference between getting a ticket on entry/paying on exit and prepaying before you get the ticket.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Didn't we do all this in the correct forum a couple of weeks ago - maybe the OP should read that thread?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure