Walk 2000 miles in 2017

Jonbvn
Jonbvn Posts: 5,562
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 23 December 2016 at 5:09AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
Myself and bugslet have decided to target walking 2000 miles in 2017.

Although a big target, I think it is achievable with consistent effort.

Anyone who wants to join us, feel free to post on this thread. Also feel free to post updates on your progress.

Good luck and stride on!:beer:
In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just checked my Fitbit for stats since January 1st 2016 and done the following: 3,749,903 steps, 9685 floors, 2,963.15 km, 1,049,051 calories
  • Good idea. Let's do it. :j
  • Jonbvn
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 10:09AM
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Just checked my Fitbit for stats since January 1st 2016 and done the following: 3,749,903 steps, 9685 floors, 2,963.15 km, 1,049,051 calories

2000 miles is 3218.7 km. You are only 255km short this year. Quite some effort! :T

I am on 1,291.25 km since getting my fitbit in Sept.

As you know, the key is persistence. As Churchill said,"Never give up. Never surrender".

Sorry if I'm over enthused.....
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,357
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 11:17AM
    I'll join but I will have to do it slightly differently.
    I find it hard to distinguish between steps done whilst walking vs steps done when running. But it is easy to see the distance I run so I will only be counting miles run rather than walked.
    Managed just over 1300 miles this year running but I have a marathon to train for next year so will be upping my mileage by about 10 miles or so a week so hopefully shouldn't be too far off 2000 miles.

Edited to add, I would also like to climb over 100,000 feet next year too. Again I will only be tracking running ascent. 97,835 ft so far this year.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 10:04PM
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    Myself and bugslet have decided to target walking 2000 miles in 2017.

Although a big target, I think it is achievable with consistent effort.

Anyone who wants to join us, feel free to post on this thread. Also feel free to post updates on your progress.

Good luck and stride on!:beer:

Actually, I think I might make it 2017 miles - I know, reckless is my middle name:D That's 5.52 miles a day.

I'm toying with the idea of a fitbit instead of my pedometer but after all these years I'm feeling like a cheating spouse!:eek::o
  • Jonbvn
    Forumite
    bugslet wrote: »
    Actually, I think I might make it 2017 miles - I know, reckless is my middle name:D That's 5.52 miles a day.

I'm toying with the idea of a fitbit instead of my pedometer but after all these years I'm feeling like a cheating spouse!:eek::o

Great idea. I'm game.

If you are getting a fitbit, I would highly recommend myfitnesspal, since they play nice together.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I will join !
    ally.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Wow big target. You need to average 5.5miles per day! Just the time commitment alone will be tough!
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Actually are you counting all daily steps or going on specific walks using a GPS tracker. According to my phone I do around 1000miles a year just walking at walk. Then with stava I have 750 running so I nearly did it!
  • This is my usual running distance a year because I love ultras but can't say I'd want to spend the time walking it so good luck with it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure