Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    bikeman wrote: »
    First I get a letter from Ebico saying I don't have to do anything and I will get moved to RH on Ebico Zero.

Then I get a letter from SSE telling of their price rise.

I contact Ebico and get told that their original letter was wrong and I do have to opt in.

When I try to opt in via the website I get :
    Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

Cant get through by phone.

This a a shambles.

This is identical to my situation.

I do think ebico should have contacted me again letting me know the first letter was incorrect and I had to opt in rather than the stated do nothing.
  • Inigo_Montoya
    Inigo_Montoya Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My ebico zero started today - smooth for me apart from no DD set up but I can live with that as I can pay with cashback CC instead as long as they dont add a fee for CC payment
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My switch to Scottish Power is becoming problematic: I received an acknowledgement of my switch from Scottish Power on Friday but nothing from Ebico nor SSE. I phoned Ebico today which took quite some time to get through only to learn that they cannot trace my account. I'm phoning Ebico again tomorrow and if their response is the same I'll be phoning SSE. If their response is the same I'll be cancelling their direct debit which was used today. What's going on I just don't know. My switch is scheduled by Scottish Power for March 30.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Lots of conflicting and confusing stuff. I only got the " We are moving to RHE unless you opt out" paper letter. No emails. No second letter from SSE yet. I only knew of that from this thread and links in it.

Anyway the RHE deal suits me so to opt in hopefully for sure, I have registered at the ebico choice website and await my "welcome pack" though surprised I have yet to have any email confirming as well.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:10PM
    My ebico zero started today - smooth for me apart from no DD set up but I can live with that as I can pay with cashback CC instead as long as they dont add a fee for CC payment

This is what I was thinking, although if no DD is set up (which is exactly what has happened to me, too, on my Ebico Zero account) might be worth making sure the DD price is charged on the account - I have a 15.70p/kWh electric price but it becomes 15.87p/kWh if I am not paying by direct debit. My contract states the lower price, but if there is no DD set up I don't know if that is what will actually be charged. The 1% difference will wipe out credit card cashback.

It may just be that direct debits are not set up yet. Seems strange there is not option to enter DD details within the online account yet.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bikeman wrote: »
    First I get a letter from Ebico saying I don't have to do anything and I will get moved to RH on Ebico Zero.

Then I get a letter from SSE telling of their price rise.

I contact Ebico and get told that their original letter was wrong and I do have to opt in.

When I try to opt in via the website I get :
    Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

Cant get through by phone.

This a a shambles.

You needed to contact them by 15 March, as specified in the letter they sent you, albeit it wrongly suggested you needed to do nothing.

If you want to swich to Ebico Zero, simply switch via the Ebisco website, choosing SSE as your current supplier.

They will switch you in 3 weeks after application.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    squiggles wrote: »
    This is identical to my situation.

I do think ebico should have contacted me again letting me know the first letter was incorrect and I had to opt in rather than the stated do nothing.

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/letter-confusion-so-are-we-reducing-or-increasing-prices/
    ...We had hoped to make switching to our cheaper tariffs as simple as possible for our EquiGas/EquiPower customers. However, unfortunately our former supply partner, SSE, has been unable to support the transfer of customers to our new supply partner. So, we must now ask our EquiGas/EquiPower customers to confirm to us that they want to make the move to Ebico Zero. Customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE on the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff and will be subject to the increase in the electricity price...
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anthorn wrote: »
    My switch to Scottish Power is becoming problematic: I received an acknowledgement of my switch from Scottish Power on Friday but nothing from Ebico nor SSE. I phoned Ebico today which took quite some time to get through only to learn that they cannot trace my account. I'm phoning Ebico again tomorrow and if their response is the same I'll be phoning SSE. If their response is the same I'll be cancelling their direct debit which was used today. What's going on I just don't know. My switch is scheduled by Scottish Power for March 30.

Communication between SSE and Ebico is clearly down the toilet as we are all finding. I wouldn't bother wasting time contacting either at the moment. There is no harm in cancelling the direct debit as the tariff is the same for any payment method, you'll just have a final bill to pay, or in my case a final credit refund due. Just keep an eye on a final bill produced by SSE within a couple of weeks of giving your meter reading to Scottish Power. That's my plan. I need to submit my meter read on Wednesday.

It may simply be that during the 14-day cooling off period, nothing happens, so you've heard nothing from SSE because they've heard nothing from Scottish Power. Once the cooling off period has lapsed, it can then all move fairly swiftly if there are no complications.

But Ebico and no complications? Not much chance there.
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    footyguy wrote: »
    You needed to contact them by 15 March, as specified in the letter they sent you, albeit it wrongly suggested you needed to do nothing.

If you want to swich to Ebico Zero, simply switch via the Ebisco website, choosing SSE as your current supplier.

They will switch you in 3 weeks after application.

Thank you for taking the time to post this for me.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pretty expensive their zero tariff

TCR
    Electricity: 16.42p per kWh
    Gas: 4.91p per kWh

Yes but there is no daily standing charge. I was looking at switching to them because I am a very low user and standing charges make up more than a quarter of my bill. I could have saved £70 a year mainly because of the elimination of the standing charges.I switched elsewhere for other reasons but the zero tariff would have been perfect for me.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure