Refund could have been paid into wrong Bank Account

My husband is expecting a refund he is owed from returned goods. It has not appeared in his bank account and for various reasons he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.

We have e-mailed the person who is refunding, and are waiting to hear from him regarding details of what bank account it went into.

Meanwhile, what will happen if he has paid it into the wrong account? What are my husband's rights? Thanks.
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely its up to the sender to resolve it, your husbamd shouldnt be doing the running round for something that isn't his fault.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think knowing the "various reasons" may be helpful in getting a meaningful reply.
  • I think knowing the "various reasons" may be helpful in getting a meaningful reply.

Mainly because it has not appeared in his account, and we were in the shop at the time the vendor was doing it online, so if it has not appeared, where is it? (date 9th March).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.
    Unlikely.
    Refunds are done via cards, not by bank transfers, that excludes manual errors.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:56PM
    grumbler wrote: »
    Unlikely.
    Refunds are done via cards, not by bank transfers, that excludes manual errors.

He did it via a bank transfer.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    He did it via a bank transfer.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account

what may affect the resolution is whether you inadvertently gave the wrong account details to the retailer, or gave them the correct ones which they then entered in wrong.

Although in either case it's going to have to be the retailer who chases this up, as it's their account the money went out of, you have more chance of getting the retailer to re-send to the correct account in the interim if it was their error to begin with.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Where did they get the account details from ?
  • molerat wrote: »
    Where did they get the account details from ?

My husband gave them his debit card, and also a piece of paper with details written on correctly (I know this as we checked it together).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Thanks, the link to the article was very helpful :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My husband is expecting a refund he is owed from returned goods. It has not appeared in his bank account and for various reasons he thinks it may have been paid into someone else's account by mistake.

We have e-mailed the person who is refunding, and are waiting to hear from him regarding details of what bank account it went into.

Meanwhile, what will happen if he has paid it into the wrong account? What are my husband's rights? Thanks.

If it was their fault they make it good. But that depends on whether it was reported to them in good time. Just wondering and doing nothing about it probably means you have not reported it in good time.

If it's your fault by passing on to the payer the wrong bank details then it's a case of Caveat Emptor. The payer or the paying bank or the receiving bank might be able to help but don't count on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure