Your worst job?

What was the worst job you ever had?. I spent 14 months as a care attendent in a council run old folks home when I was a student. I was covering for someone who was on long term sick leave. Most of the residents were nice and I found their stories and memories both amusing and sad. You got a few residents who would scream for the loo just for the attention even if they had only been there ten minutes ago. There was some of the other carers who were right back stabbers and their altimeter career goal was to be either the officer in charge or a deputy of the home. For example a care officer was retired on health grounds two carers who had been there years applied but it went to a outsider with no experience and they tried to ruin her. I recall being there for 2 months and then two of them that went for the officer position started telling tales to the thiRd officer in charge about me. Saying I had left beds unmade etc. That 14 months was more like a decade. When the person I was covering for was cleared to return I was a day away from handing my notice in. The senior cook was a right b**** too.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Fair enough to complain about back stabbing staff, but many of the residents in care homes are there due to their mental state. It's entirely possible that they didn't remember going to the loo just a few minutes previously. If that wound you up I'd suggest you were in the wrong job from day one.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A temp reception job where the woman I worked alongside was racist and screamed at me because I changed the date on the welcome board in advance ( at 5pm so it was done ready for the morning) shouting it was bad luck etc etc.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Probably one of my first jobs when I left college a long time ago. Worked as a chamber maid in a large hotel. Got spoken to like I was a piece of dirt by the customers and had to clean up some disgusting stuff and the state people left the rooms in. It was quite an eye opener.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Bath_cube wrote: »
    What was the worst job you ever had?. I spent 14 months as a care attendent in a council run old folks home when I was a student. I was covering for someone who was on long term sick leave. Most of the residents were nice and I found their stories and memories both amusing and sad. You got a few residents who would scream for the loo just for the attention even if they had only been there ten minutes ago. There was some of the other carers who were right back stabbers and their altimeter career goal was to be either the officer in charge or a deputy of the home. For example a care officer was retired on health grounds two carers who had been there years applied but it went to a outsider with no experience and they tried to ruin her. I recall being there for 2 months and then two of them that went for the officer position started telling tales to the thiRd officer in charge about me. Saying I had left beds unmade etc. That 14 months was more like a decade. When the person I was covering for was cleared to return I was a day away from handing my notice in. The senior cook was a right b**** too.

Obviously not the career for you, but many people find being a careworker satisfying - my daughter is one such person.

I've only had three jobs. The first was a two week temporary Saturday job in a hairdressers. It was ok, not exactly challenging, but it could have been worse. I was paid 50p an hour. My second job was as a Saturday girl in a shoe concession in Dorothy Perkins. That was probably the worst job. Again it was ok, but not challenging, but the shoe pairs were up a steep staircase (not ideal for someone brought up in a bungalow and nervous of stairs!) and at the back of the stockroom. Teenagers loved trying on the shoes with no intention of buying, so lots of wasted trips to the stockroom.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fluffer. Not enough listerine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business