Money Moral Dilemma: How should we split the bills in our house?

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Assuming that you all live in the house together then general bills should be split 3 ways. If you do something that will materially add to the value of the house (Extension? Conservatory? New kitchen? Total rewiring?) then arguably this should be split 50:50.
  • alggomas
    alggomas Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would have thought this would have been sorted out beforehand!
    You do not say who contributed what in the house purchase.
    If your sister is unemployed?
    Anyway I would assume the contribution would come from two accounts as it would be simpler. So they would be paying 66% approx and you 33%.
    I would assume you are paying 50% of the mortgage. So for running costs try splitting 3 ways.
    Although if you insist on a 3 way split for mortgage payments​, the there may be legal problems.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The division of ownership of the home you occupy with your sister and brother-in-law has no relevance to the division of recurring household expenses within it.

There are three of you and, unless special circumstances merit, you all have use of the property equally and therefore all costs of running the place need to be split evenly so that you meet one-third of the bills and two-thirds are met by them. It would be entirely unfair if you were expected to pay half the costs, but one question features prominently in my mind - why didn't you sort out and agree how the running costs should be split long ago?

The costs of maintenance would, though, be a different matter. If, for example, new cladding and gutters, or double-glazing were installed, or the kitchen needed modernisation, then such improvements affect the value of the property and ought to be split 50:50, ie you pay half.:cool:
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Imagine you were renting it unfurnished.
    Anything that would be a cost borne by the tenants should be split three ways.
    Anything that would be a cost borne by the landlord should be split two ways.

To make this clear, find a standard tenancy agreement from somewhere which should set out landlord and tenant responsibilities. You could even sign it, and rent the house from yourselves.
  • Quick point.... the question was about the bills in a house NOT anyone's opinion on whether separate bank accounts and marriage was right. That's a really personal matter for individual couples.
    Spilt insurance and house maintenance 50/50 as that reflects what you own but utilities three way. Make sure everything is crystal clear though as it saves heartache if anything goes wrong.
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Robins1968 wrote: »
    Quick point.... the question was about the bills in a house NOT anyone's opinion on whether separate bank accounts and marriage was right. That's a really personal matter for individual couples.
    Spilt insurance and house maintenance 50/50 as that reflects what you own but utilities three way. Make sure everything is crystal clear though as it saves heartache if anything goes wrong.

And? It's a discussion point, please don't arrive on a thread and think you can tell others what they can and can't discuss
  • Lee_Howden
    Lee_Howden Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Withakay wrote: »
    Maybe it is a generational thing but my wife and I have our own separate money but both put in a set amount each month to our joint account for food and bills. When we both want to spend our incomes on different things that cost different amounts, we just don't see it as fair to share all the money. I'm notoriously shrewd and she's quite frivolous so we'd only end up arguing anyway - and we wouldn't have any money at all to repair our boiler next week because she'd have spent it all on makeup, theatre tickets and presents for babies of people who she works with!

This is more or less how we do it now. We both get our salaries paid into our own bank accounts and then pay a set amount into our joint account to cover bills etc. We leave a little in each others accounts to cover our own diesel use (easier for us to understand if they're separated off), mobiles and a bit of cash. I would say that I'm more careful with my money than the boss and have a little left each month. This then enables me to do bits and bobs that I want.

Incidentally our split isn't 50:50. If it was, my wife would be overdrawn at the end of each month as we aren't on equal salaries. I would say that the moral thing to do is paying shares of bills in a marriage/partnerships should be in proportion to what each partner earns ie if one earns alot more than the other, then they should pay more. That way, it avoids anybody being short of money by the 3rd or 4th week of the month.
    Apparently I am the original tight fisted Yorkshire Man!!
  • ramjug
    ramjug Posts: 112 Forumite
    TeamPlum wrote: »
    Personally find it easier to not bother splitting bills when you're married.

I'll share my life with you, but not my money.

Never understood the point of married people keeping tap on my money/ your money
  • grbt
    grbt Posts: 1 Newbie
    In our house there is my wife and sister in-law and myself we all earn approximately the same so we opened a bill paying account and each pay 1/3 of our monthly wages into it then all bills (utility's ,and shopping ,mortgage ,council tax )come out of it ,that way nobody can argue as to who pays for what as every body is using everything so everyone pays ...
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    An interesting dilemma for once!

I think each bill has to be considered separately, discussed, and a consensus reached on whether to divide 34:66 or 50:50.

If water is unmetered, it should be 50:50 but if metered then 34:66

Electricity would probably be 34:66 due to increased shower usage, washing machine usage etc.

Gas (cooking, heating) probably 50:50 as I don't think you change the heating times depending on number of people in house.

Broadband 50:50.

Mortgage and insurances 50:50 if that was the basis on which you bought the house.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport