Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• Mra199
    Mra199 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Sooo, I've sent all my documents to step change and will hopefully hear back soon, anyone have idea how long the process takes? I've received an email back from them confirming receipt and that someone will be in touch when it's been reviewed.

Also any idea on door step lenders? I'm not quite sure what to say to him and haven't left the house since weekend incase he sees me :(
    Never missed a payment with him and he constantly goes on about how his customers respect him and know not to miss a payment with him... Little bit scary.

Do I send a letter, do I mention a DRO application? Have tried calling head office but so far haven't got through..

Feeling the pressure!
  • azzadle
    azzadle Posts: 55
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My DRO is.. OVER!

Six long years after recklessness as a teenager ruined my finances, the shackles are off. I won't be doing that again..
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi,

Help please, I'm currently in the process of applying for a dro but I have a major issue, I have 14 criditord and debts of 8000 I recently received 1200 from an insurance claim of which I paid my friend back nearly 1000, this had to be done as he was getting threatened with eviction and his family it will be seen as priority payment but it had to be paid as I was pressured heavily by his family and his families welfare was a priority... all my fault I know!! Will this mean I get revoked or not?? Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    The application can be declined

http://www.i-m-a.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Preferences-and-Antecedent-Transactions-Guidance.pdf

That doesn't mean it will be. The longer period between this transaction and your application, the better. When did it happen? When did you start getting advice from your intermediary?
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi, I got the application forms yesterday and the payout was early January, it was a case of 'having to pay' especially as it affected his family and kids would have been vulnerable if I hadn't stuck to payment.

On the bigger picture I'm left with literally 10 pound surplus so if this gets rejected what will be my other most likely option?
  • fatbelly
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:12AM
    OK, a 2-month gap already then. With 8k debt and £10surplus, this sounds like the way forward.

There are no official application forms, apart from the website application that the intermediary fills in.

I suspect you have got forms from Stepchange or similar.

What does the question say, relating to his matter, that they are asking you? is it 'Have you preferred any creditors over others in your payments in the last 2 years?
  • I've spoken to the 'expert' and they said it's entirely down to the IP and it could go either way, but they also said they will forward the application as it as a good chance of succeeding because of my current circumstances and it was a pressured payment.

I've just worried that if it gets declined I'm stuck more than ever. They did mention token payment until things change, this I can live with for sure but the problem will still be there.

Any advice greatly received
  • Yes it's been mentioned the priority payment but I was left with little choice, also if I wasn't to go with this company and select another would they be no the wiser if I don't declare this payment? Risky I know or do I take my chance??
  • fatbelly
    Forumite
    Slateford1 wrote: »
    I've spoken to the 'expert' and they said it's entirely down to the IP and it could go either way, but they also said they will forward the application as it as a good chance of succeeding because of my current circumstances and it was a pressured payment.

I've just worried that if it gets declined I'm stuck more than ever. They did mention token payment until things change, this I can live with for sure but the problem will still be there.

Any advice greatly received
    Yes it's been mentioned the priority payment but I was left with little choice, also if I wasn't to go with this company and select another would they be no the wiser if I don't declare this payment? Risky I know or do I take my chance??

Yes , if that was someone you owed money to then I agree you should declare it and then the decision is down to the DRO Team at the Insolvency Service.

Presumably that wiped out your debt to that person.

I think my advice would be the same as in your 1st paragraph
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Yes it's been mentioned the priority payment but I was left with little choice, also if I wasn't to go with this company and select another would they be no the wiser if I don't declare this payment? Risky I know or do I take my chance??

As far as i am aware, and Fatbelly will correct me if i`m wrong, but i dont think any checks are done on your bank account, for example, you do not have to send in copies of bank statements.

The only way they would know is if you told them.

The whole DRO process relies (mainly) on the honesty of the debtor.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback