Any PS5 rumours?

I currently have a PS4 (not Pro) and a 4K tv, I would really like to be able to play 4K UHD blu-ray but of course Sony haven't made this possible in either the bog-standard PS4 or the Pro.

I could always buy an Xbox One S, but with the release of the Xbox One X that is pretty old technology now so despite it being cheap I can't justify the cost. Although the Xbox One X would undoubtedly be a great machine I have loads of games (digital only as I am too lazy to get off the sofa to swap discs!) for my PS4 so am kind of stuck in the Sony eco-system for the moment.

So, what I need is a Playstation that does 4K and has a UHD blu-ray drive in it - what are the current rumours around whether the next system will have one built in, release dates etc? I must be crap at using google because every time I try to search for stuff I end up seeing posts from ages ago, unless there really are no rumours on discussion on this...
Mortgage free!
Debt free!

Time poor...

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There's absolutely no rumours on the PS5 at the moment and I doubt there's any chance of one anytime soon. Also even if there was one, I seriously doubt it would play blu-ray 4k - Sony knew the Xbox One S had the capability and that the X would likely too yet they still chose not to add such capability to either the newer Slim or the Pro.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Also even if there was one, I seriously doubt it would play blu-ray 4k

I am inclined to agree, it wouldn't surprise me if the PS5 didn't have an optical drive at all.

I'm still stuck in the last generation (MSE remember?), but I probably would have bought a PS4 Pro if it had UHD support. I can't bring myself to buy an xboxonex
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    chubsta wrote: »
    I currently have a PS4 (not Pro) and a 4K tv, I would really like to be able to play 4K UHD blu-ray but of course Sony haven't made this possible in either the bog-standard PS4 or the Pro.

Surely just buy a 4K Blu Ray player?
  • motorguy wrote: »
    Surely just buy a 4K Blu Ray player?

I assume even though not mentioned that he may want to play 4k games too
  • In the papers this morning that PS5 not expected to be released until 2020/21. Sony are still making so much money from the PS4 that it is unlikely to release the PS5 until sales drop. PS4 sales will soon reach 100 million mark!
  • motorguy
    edited 29 December 2017 at 2:47PM
    axel132132 wrote: »
    I assume even though not mentioned that he may want to play 4k games too

You dont need a 4K blu ray player to play 4K games - the PS4 Pro supports 4K gaming, it just doesnt have a 4K Blu Ray Player.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11/23/ps4-pro-4k-games-and-videos-guide/

The O/P has told us he wants to remain in the Playstation eco system, therefore :-
    • If the O/P wants 4K gaming only, he needs a PS4 Pro.
    • If the O/P wants 4K gaming and 4K Blu Ray, the he needs a PS4 Pro and a 4K Blu Ray Player.
    • If the O/P wants 4K gaming and 4K Blu Ray all in one unit, then he'll need to wait for the PS5
    • If the O/P isnt bothered about 4K gaming but wants 4K Blu Ray, then he can keep his current PS4 and buy a 4K Blu Ray player.
  • A lot of 4k Blu Ray players cost the same or way more than an Xbox One S, it's not quite as good as a separate one but it's fine. If Sony had made their new Playstation 4s with that capability, I'd certainly be thinking of upgrading my current PS4. I think them not including this capability was a mistake. Especially because it's more expensive than it's Xbox counterpart. Weird decision by Sony. But I guess if you're selling well and don't need to throw anything in or drop the price - why bother?
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • motorguy
    A lot of 4k Blu Ray players cost the same or way more than an Xbox One S, it's not quite as good as a separate one but it's fine. If Sony had made their new Playstation 4s with that capability, I'd certainly be thinking of upgrading my current PS4. I think them not including this capability was a mistake. Especially because it's more expensive than it's Xbox counterpart. Weird decision by Sony. But I guess if you're selling well and don't need to throw anything in or drop the price - why bother?

You can buy a decent brand 4k player for as little as £129

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMP-UB300EBK-Native-Blu-Ray-Player-black/dp/B06XSJ1BKD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515069138&sr=8-3&keywords=4k+blu+ray+player

Probably less, if you shop around.

Yes, i think SONY have opted not to bother
  • Playstation 5 is at this point more than a few years away.
  • Agree with the others. Can't see a ps5 cropping up anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure