Buying a garden shed (possibly online)?

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Also think about where you are going to position the shed. Place it well away from any trees, as it will rot much quicker if it's near or under a tree.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    Also think about where you are going to position the shed.
    Also, if it's within a metre of a boundary, doesn't it need planning permission?
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Also, if it's within a metre of a boundary, doesn't it need planning permission?

Onky if it's more than 30m2 I think.
  • Also, if it's within a metre of a boundary, doesn't it need planning permission?

No. Planning-wise, sheds are almost always covered under permitted development providing the maximum eaves height is 2.5m and a maximum height of 4m (2.5m with within 2 metres of boundary) - things may be different if you do not have permitted development rights for some reason.

Building regulations may apply though, if the shed is is bigger than 15sqm and within 1m of a boundary and made of substantially combustible materials (e.g. wood).

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2
  • There's a couple of folk around here who've done things in their garden that i've wondered if they needed planning permission for.

One was our immediate rear neighbour putting up a really tall fence. Must be a good bit over 10ft high.

I wasn't complaining though ... it kept his irritating kids from shouting over to us every time they saw us :)
  • I knew there was something i wanted to touch on......

damp / rusting.

In our existing shed, which the previous owner must've built himself (not a bad effort and certainly way better than anything i could do but still not great) i put some metal objects. Tins of paint was one as well as other metalwork.

After a not very long period of time i found that it had all rusted to varying degrees. Obviously not something i would be wanting.

I don't know if a block built shed would've stopped this (or at least helped a lot) but that's now out of the question as said.

So is there any way of reducing this? Would it be lining with Kingspan as mentioned earlier or any other method?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    There's a couple of folk around here who've done things in their garden that i've wondered if they needed planning permission for.

One was our immediate rear neighbour putting up a really tall fence. Must be a good bit over 10ft high.
    Where would anyone get fence posts that long? He must have used constructional timber. The chance of it being damaged in high winds would be so much greater too.

There will be some dampness in any shed which isn't heated, regardless of construction material. I have some dampness in my block built barn which originates in the air. Condensation from the air will happen more in stone/block buildings, which hold onto the cold longer when the surrounding air heats up, resulting in water vapour condensing on the cold surfaces.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When is a shed not a shed? I think because I'm in a flat I need planning permission for a shed. But the shed I want is a tiny sentry box type, and I'm wondering whether I could get away with calling it a cupboard.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    When is a shed not a shed?
    I would say that if a person would not normally go inside it and could reach everthing inside without doing so, it's a cupboard. or outdoor box.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Where would anyone get fence posts that long? He must have used constructional timber. The chance of it being damaged in high winds would be so much greater too.

There will be some dampness in any shed which isn't heated, regardless of construction material. I have some dampness in my block built barn which originates in the air. Condensation from the air will happen more in stone/block buildings, which hold onto the cold longer when the surrounding air heats up, resulting in water vapour condensing on the cold surfaces.

He put it together himself. I haven't measured but I think the wooden posts look about 6x6. If not then 4x4 as a minimum.
    There are no traditional type panels. He's just got a load of lengths of timber & nailed them to.

Personally I love how high it is. I'm just happy his kids can't irritate me any longer :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure