edited 7 July 2020 at 11:38AM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• So far so good. Switch from (MSE recommended) Sainsbury's Fix went smoothly and on time. No probs contacting Avro - email seems to work best. Of course they are new and small, so there may be some teething troubles ahead, but so far I'm very pleased - not least to save about £300 a year for a variable tariff
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I initiated a switch online yesterday for completion on 14th April.
    I did email them on Saturday to get clarification that economy 7 rate are the same for day and night but since I have stopped using tumble dryer at night this suits me fine. Email was answered within a few hour and signed by the big boss. maybe it really was him as offices are closed at weekends.
    Welcome pack came within the hour by email. No gas meter point on the pdf they asked you to check so I rang to get this confirmed and phone was answered quickly.
    The only other points to look out for is that they may do a hard credit check and the DD starts 10 days before the supply.
    Luckily in one of my former jobs I spent nearly 10 years sorting out computer systems billing problems for a Gas co.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 March 2016 at 2:41PM
    I was looking at this supplier's website today, and they list all their current prices/tariffs here:

http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Prices.aspx

Interestingly, when you download their pricelist, they appear to offer a no standing charge tariff for both gas and/or electricity. This seems much cheaper than anyone else offering a no standing charge tariff.
    (may be suitable for extremely low users)

But how do you get this tariff? It doesn't seem to be listed on any comparison site. Even if you request a quote from the Avro website, it doesn't seem to offer this tariff as an option.

:huh:

Edit:
    Instead, comparison sites and their own website appears to offer a additional slightly cheaper 'Simple & Fix' tariff (compared to 'Simple & Save' as on the download), but neither of these tariffs are zero standing charge.

Edit 2:
    The downloadable price list is dated as of 04 December 2015
    Unfortunately, it appears Avro opted to remove the No Standing Charge tariff that day. It was only launched 30 November 2015

Simple & Save was not launched until 07 December 2015 (and prices were amended 29 January 2016)

Simple & Fix was not launched until 11 March 2016

(Thanks to energylynx for these dates)

Good to see Avro are keeping their website, and in particular their tariff info, up to date :cool:
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cranford wrote: »
    I initiated a switch online yesterday for completion on 14th April. ...

The only other points to look out for is that.. the DD starts 10 days before the supply.....

It says on their website
    Your first payment will be on the 21st day after signing up. Then by Monthly Direct Debit thereafter.
    But in their terms it says
    9.3.2 The Direct Debit will be taken the day after the cancellation period referred to in clause 7 ends and monthly thereafter.
    Clause 7 refers to 14 days possible cancellation period following the date of your receipt of your Welcome Pack.

... so I don't know if they allow 7 days from application for you to receive the welcome pack?
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    The Welcome packs comes by email and is promised to come within a few hours of signing up. In my case in about 30 mins.
  • ARTiSAN
    ARTiSAN Posts: 12 Forumite
    My USwitch Collective tariff on EON comes to an end soon so EON have said I can change tariff/supplier without any exit fees. Having done some research I've now switched to a fixed AVRO tariff and should save £80 per annum. Its not a great saving however I object to funding the Big 6 out of principle.

As there's no exit fee with AVRO if they're no good or energy costs fall I can just leave. If we don't support the smaller energy suppliers and move away from the Big 6 we'll just continue to be ripped off.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    They have a new tariff called 'simple and connect', was marginally cheaper for me. Its not on the MSE energyclub yet but was on UKenergy.
  • alexei2k
    alexei2k Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Having a very bad experience with Avro so far. Switched to them 3 months ago. Now, suddenly, it appears the final gas reading they sent to my previous supplier (and which they did VERY LATE after the switch date) has nothing to do with my actual reading I sent them on the day of the switch as requested. The former is much higher. So they are overcharging me by a substantial amount. No explanation given, I have already contacted them twice, on the phone and by email. Still waiting for a response. I really do not have time for sorting out this kind of administration problems, so I am transferring out of Avro ASAP. Do not want to deal with all these unprofessional unexperienced start-ups. And I am still waiting for my first bill from Avro - unbelievable! In the meantime, they are charging me by monthly DD - in advance! BEWARE!
  • vickssinex
    vickssinex Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post
    alexei2k wrote: »
    Having a very bad experience with Avro so far. Switched to them 3 months ago. Now, suddenly, it appears the final gas reading they sent to my previous supplier (and which they did VERY LATE after the switch date) has nothing to do with my actual reading I sent them on the day of the switch as requested. The former is much higher.

The same thing has happened to us. I submitted meter readings on the switch date in April, but when I logged on to submit readings in May the April gas reading shown was way above what I actually submitted. I queried this with Avro and they said they used an estimated opening reading. Crazy or what?

We thought that nobody could be worse than the Co-op, our previous supplier, but this is not exactly a promising start.
  • kevcoo
    kevcoo Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2016 at 11:04AM
    Same thing has happened to me balance showing £50.00 less than what I have paid in,no statement in 3 months , rubbish company will be out of it by 23rd June , will cancel dd instantly as I don't trust them,they will owe me so can send money back a different way,terrible company,these sort should be closed down STAY CLEAR,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback