MSE Poll: How often do you use cheques?

Options
2»

Comments

• Laff
    Laff Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheques are very useful when you want to send a large amount and online banking has low daily limits. Even then some of the best savings accounts which are online don't accept cheques, e.g Bank of Cyprus from this month's Best Buy list. Very frustrating!
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another reason I use cheques:

I have no mobile signal where I live which renders OTP codes useless and so it's difficult to set up a new payment online. All of the banks I have dealt with appear to have a blind spot with this problem.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm 25 and I've used 4 cheque books this year already and onto my fifth. Usually between 5-10 a month. January was 16 in one month because of how some bills fell etc.

My dads business (only 2 people) pays suppliers about 500 cheques a year, and we get about the same from debtors.

For me, very convenient for credit cards and bills, passbook accounts not local to me etc. Safe way to pay. Nothing wrong with it, shouldn't be phased out. 470 million cheques processed in 2016 worth £551 billion. If people don't like it or use it, up to them. But clearly a lot of people do like and use it, and they shouldn't be being told not to use cheques. There must continue to be a choice of preferred payments for everyone of all needs.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    I hate receiving cheques. The last cheque I received was from HMRC and I had to take time off on a working day to go to the bank and pay for the parking.

Why not go on a Saturday or on a day off? Or deposit at the Post Office? Some banks and BS you can also do postal deposits.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SandraDJ wrote: »
    I put my cat in a cattery when I go away on holiday. The only choice I have of making a payment is cheque or cash, so I write a cheque each time.

My OH and I have 6 different bank accounts between us. None of them issues cheque books. We get an invoice for our cattery and pay the money directly into their bank account.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    My OH and I have 6 different bank accounts between us. None of them issues cheque books. We get an invoice for our cattery and pay the money directly into their bank account.

When you say bank account, do you mean a basic current account or an everyday current account? Before it's only basic bank accounts, which don't credit check you, don't issue chequebooks.
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    I always use cheques to pay for my dog's stay in kennels, they only accept cheque or cash so it's the easiest way also I pay workmen via cheque
    Barclaycard: £2970 Tesco: £655 MBNA £4830 Virgin: £6110
    Total Credit Card debt: £14,565 Car Loan: £12,055 :eek:
  • old_grouser
    Options
    I virtually never write a cheque, yet British Gas (my feed-in tariff supplier) sends me a cheque every quarter, and tells me it has no other method of sending me the money my solar panels earn.
    O G :cool: Somewhere on the South Downs
    3.29kWp S by E
    Greetings to Druids everywhere
  • aj23_2
    Options
    I use for a variety, like credit card bills, paying into passbook saving accounts, even a private healthcare bill the other day. Lots of places use them, lots of places accept them. Usage is still near the half a billion mark which makes it a major transaction method.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure