Problems with MOZBACKUP

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I rebuilt my laptop yesterday and ensured that I had a back up of my emails (dating back some 12 years) - using MOZBACKUP
This program offers options of settings or just data - I chose the whole lot - which equated to almost 1.2Gb of data in a single PCV file - but when I tried to restore it - it "hung" - obviously too large
I have unzipped the file and see that I do have mny folders in it (in the mail folder) - can these be imported (drag and drop) back into Thunderbird ?
I am mainly after the sent folders (since I have the received on another PC)
I was using POP mail before anyone asks !!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You didn't need any other software because the beauty of Thunderbird is you just copy its profile folder off somewhere, wipe the machine, reinstall Thunderbird and copy the contents of the profile folder back which retains everything - folders, emails, server settings, add-ons, everything.

It also says at the top of the Mozback page "no longer supported, has known issues, use at your own risk".

That being said, if you have the original folder in your backup it should be just a case of copying it back to the new Thunderbird profile and Thunderbird should see it. In theory and assuming the backup isn't corrupt.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    +1 Neil Jones

I always do it that way.
    Also works for Firefox, Waterfox and Palemoon browsers.
    Works so well that I recently transferred a 32 bit Palemoon profile and Thunderbird profile from a Win 10 laptop into Firefox and Thunderbird in 64bit Mint.
    No need to set up emails or reload addons etc.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    just copy its profile folder off somewhere,.

Can you advise where 'somewhere' is please?
  • 50Twuncle
    The advantage of using mozbackup is that you can create 'partial' backups and restore from combination backups.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    J_B wrote: »
    Can you advise where 'somewhere' is please?

Well considering the OP rebuilt his laptop, I'd have thought "somewhere" was anywhere other than the drive he wiped. External drive, CD, pen drive, etc.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    25 years of being an IT engineer - proper IT - Not "programming" !!

Obviously a "proper IT engineer" is very different from a real world one!

I'm sure that many regulars will have thought to themselves that a real IT engineer with 25 years experience would not need to ask such basic questions and would definitely know how to backup Firefox/Thunderbird etc. without needing to use a redundant old program with known issues, that has not had any updates/support for over five years!

Obviously a real techie would have done a full backup before performing a rebuild and would also have a second backup to fall back on if required.
  • 50Twuncle
    Rubidium wrote: »

I'm sure that many regulars will have thought to themselves that a real IT engineer with 25 years experience would not need to ask such basic questions and would definitely know how to backup Firefox/Thunderbird etc. without needing to use a redundant old program with known issues, that has not had any updates/support for over five years!

Obviously a real techie would have done a full backup before performing a rebuild and would also have a second backup to fall back on if required.

This - Ladies and Gentlemen is Rubidium - otherwise known as SOSUMI - A renown troublemaker from the past - who spends his time digging through old posts - trying to raise normal users gander up - well sorry Sosumi - not me !!
    He was banned, several times in the past because of, shall we say "controvertial" comments made about fellow posters - before, finally being permanantly removed by MSE !
    I think that SOSUMI/Rubidium - should grow up befored he needs to get, yet another account.........
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Well considering the OP rebuilt his laptop, I'd have thought "somewhere" was anywhere other than the drive he wiped. External drive, CD, pen drive, etc.

Doh!

I was asking which file/folder this may be found in .....
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    J_B wrote: »
    Doh!

I was asking which file/folder this may be found in .....

It is all fully documented in Mozilla support see here
  • 50Twuncle
    Rubidium wrote: »

I do have a second back up - on a second PC but that does not contain the SENT files from my laptop - because I prefer to use POP3 - rather than IMAP - Happy now ?
    In any case - I have now extracted the files that I was after using unzip !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure