PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent guarantor

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why would the landlord evict her if the rent gets paid by her dad?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    suzy5546 wrote: »
    Wont she be evicted anyway as I doubt the landlord will want to carry on ?

Not if he's going to pay her rent! why would the LL care what she does. Your husband is on the hook now for the next 50 years if the landlord wishes
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    suzy5546 wrote: »
    He may have issues not being the guarantor if she decides not to leave. ?

Will she have a choice ? I presume the landlord wont be impressed ?

He wont care. Your husband will foot the bill.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    He wont care. Your husband will foot the bill.

Lesson 1 in the list of reasons why not to be a guarantor.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If hubby pays the rent, daughter won't be in arrears so won't be evicted. Landlord happy.

If hubby does not pay the rent

a) daughter could be evicted, &/or
    b) daughter could be sued in court for the rent, &/or
    c) hubby could be sued in court for the rent

If hubby is successfully sued for the rent, and still does not pay, then hubby gets CCJ.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Sounds like you need to have a conversation with the daughter and ask her to kindly stop being a selfish !!!!! (I'd forgo the tea and cake on this occasion) as your husband is over a barrel for as long as she stays in the property.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    G_M wrote: »
    If hubby pays the rent, daughter won't be in arrears so won't be evicted. Landlord happy.

If hubby is successfully sued for the rent, and still does not pay, then hubby gets CCJ.

A thought. Would it be reasonable for the guarantor to offer to pay but only once the final total is known, ie tenant evicted and costs added on? That would keep an incentive for the LL to evict (so they get their money) but doesn't expose the guarantor to endless liability? I don't know how that would go down in court though!
  • A thought. Would it be reasonable for the guarantor to offer to pay but only once the final total is known, ie tenant evicted and costs added on? That would keep an incentive for the LL to evict (so they get their money) but doesn't expose the guarantor to endless liability? I don't know how that would go down in court though!

They have guaranteed to pay the rent on a monthly basis as required, so no. That's not what they've signed up to.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »

If the daughter is just going to continue not paying you may want the LL to sue and start the eviction process I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you get 28 days to pay before a CCJ is recorded on your credit file.

That removes your husband's liability although his daughter won't have a home, maybe try and see why see doesn't fell that she needs to stand on her own two feet..
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The landlord/agent is supposed to inform the guarantor as soon as the tenant stops paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure