Strange sort of feedback...

Options
I've noticed a trend in the last couple of months which has baffled me and I'm hoping more experienced ebay users might know why! Instead of leaving feedback about the service, speed of dispatch or quality of item, I'm increasingly getting positive feedback which simply states what the item was e.g. 'pink necklace' or 'Mozart CD'.

Any thoughts, please?
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ' strange'
    ' peculiar'
    :D
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never had that or seen that. I do seem to get plenty of people who leave feedback of . Wondering if this is the same. Want to leave feedback so they know received it but too lazy to make any effort.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've seen it done in the past to deter resellers selling on buying accounts, a quick look at feedback can reveal the price they paid.

Also helpful if someone is selling say a 'working iPhone 7' and had purchased 'iphone 7 for spares' the week before.
  • payandisplay
    payandisplay Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Lets face it, the whole feedback thing has become meaningless since sellers have been unable to leave negatives for buyers.
    Best to forget it completely.
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only if you see it solely from a seller's point of view. I like to be able to see feedback when I'm looking to buy as negs, and responses to them, can tell you a lot. As for negging buyers that system was far from useful. Unpaid item strikes are more effective as they can't bid in the first place.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lets face it, the whole feedback thing has become meaningless since sellers have been unable to leave negatives for buyers.
    Best to forget it completely.

Leaving negatives for buyers is pointless - by the time they've bought, it's too late to vet! If they don't pay, report to ebay accordingly.

I certainly do mind about how a seller behaves, and seeing feedback from other people is extremely useful.
  • payandisplay
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    Leaving negatives for buyers is pointless - by the time they've bought, it's too late to vet! If they don't pay, report to ebay accordingly.

I certainly do mind about how a seller behaves, and seeing feedback from other people is extremely useful.

That's nonsense. You see a bidders ID when they bid,
    not just when they buy. If they had bad feedback you could remove their bid.

Most people have seperate ID's for buying and selling.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The majority of items on ebay are now BIN, the percentage does vary but due to the large business shops the percentage of auctions are falling all the time. Therefore the seller can't see the feedback before a buyer buys.

Also whilst of course you may be in a position to sit by the PC at auction ending time and watch every bid most of us prefer to leave ebay running and go and do something more important. You also wouldn't be able to stop a snipe!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Even if they bid with less than 10 seconds to go?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure