Pay excess when 3rd party admits liability?

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For a very simple claim, with a decent third party Insurers, then getting the third party insurers to deal with the repair and basic things like a hire car if needed, is a good way to go.

But if the third party is a company like Enterprise hire cars, you might end up dealing with their own repair centres, rather than Insurers. You might struggle to use a garage of your own choice. If the repair is not satisfactory or work has been missed, you will have more hassle.

Thers is also the personal injury issue.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

Who is the insurer?

Sometimes going through the third party is easier as they bend over backwards to make you happy and often you can choose your own repairer. They will usually supply you a suitable hire car to. Also, with regards injury you can put in a separate claim through a solicitor.

As said previously, the alternative is to go through your own insurance and let them refund your excess when they have recovered their money from third party.

One thing to avoid is when your insurance company put you through to an accident Managment company such as Albany assistance and others.. This is when they will try and sign you up in a 'credit hire car' which is charged at high rates!

Hope this helps.
  • Jlo31
    huckster wrote: »
    For a very simple claim, with a decent third party Insurers, then getting the third party insurers to deal with the repair and basic things like a hire car if needed, is a good way to go.

But if the third party is a company like Enterprise hire cars, you might end up dealing with their own repair centres, rather than Insurers. You might struggle to use a garage of your own choice. If the repair is not satisfactory or work has been missed, you will have more hassle.

Thers is also the personal injury issue.

Good post.

The only thing I would add is avoid accident Managment companies and credit car hire if possible.
  • red_imps_2003
    red_imps_2003 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 5:22PM
    Thank you for the feedback, all of you. It has been very helpful. My wife's policy is with Sheila's Wheels. I think it was 'Assured' that phoned her on behalf of the 3rd party but not certain (it's in a notebook at my desk, which I'm away from at the moment). Will confirm in a couple of hours.

Edit: Yes, it was 'Assured' who phoned on behalf of 3rd party offering to cover cost of bodyshop repair to her car.
  • Jlo31
    How are you getting on with the claim? Hope its progressing smoothly for you.
  • Jlo31 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the claim? Hope its progressing smoothly for you.
    We have decided to go with the third party's insurer to [hopefully] keep things simple. The car is now at the bodyshop, who have sent their estimate to the insurer. My wife is sufficiently recovered from the minor injuries sustained not to be too concerned about longer-term health and there were no financial losses in the short term.

I will, of course, provide an update here if anything comes back to bite us so as to inform/warn others who may come across this thread in the future.

Thanks to all who have contributed for your information and guidance, which I appreciate very much.
  • Jlo31
    Brilliant. Glad it's going smoothly so far.

Out of interest are enterprise dealing with it directly (self insuring) or are you dealing directly with their insurance Company?

It makes no odds either way... I was just curious as to how hire car companies deal with third party claims.

Cheers

James
  • We are dealing with their insurance company. I forget the name (it's been my wife doing all the communicating).
  • Jlo31
    Thanks for the update.
  • red_imps_2003
    red_imps_2003 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:38PM
    Ok, things have changed somewhat over the weekend. We closed the claim with Sheila's Wheels on Thursday/Friday and agreed that Gallagher Bassett (on behalf of their client 'Assured Group Ltd') could sort out the repair. Having had the damage assessed, they have decided they want to write it off as a category C total loss. Apparently their motor engineer has deemed it beyond economical repair. From what I can interpret they are offering us £2,700 (the 'market value' immediately prior to the accident) if we keep the vehicle or £2,025 (the 'vehicle valuation') if they retain it. I really don't know what to do with this information. Does this mean they reckon it would cost more than £2,700 to repair? What does the difference between £2,025 and £2,700 represent?

In case it helps, I am happy with the 'market value' they have arrived at, as it is broadly comparable with asking prices on Autotrader for the same model, trim, age and mileage (appreciating that the actual price they go for could well be less than the one they are advertised at). I just don't know how it fits in with the two options they have offered. It is my wife who has been having the various conversations so the little information I have is secondhand. I Think the car is currently at the insurer's preferred bodyshop but I don't know whether the 'motor engineer' alluded to is an employee of this bodyshop or a representative from Gallagher Bassett/Assured Group Ltd.

In practical terms, What happens if we choose to keep the vehicle? Are we at liberty to ascertain from the bodyshop it is currently at what they think it would cost to make it roadworthy? We are not bothered about it being in 'showroom' condition; just safe and legal for the next couple of years when we had planned to replace it anyway. Am I interpreting it right that we would get the knackered car back and a payment for its market value then use that payment towards getting it back on the road? I presume we could use the bodyshop it is currently at or choose one ourselves but the latter would involve us paying transportation costs?

The other option seems fairly straightforward; abandon the car and get £2,025 towards buying a replacement. This could either be a like-for-like replacement for roughly that price to hopefully last us about as long as the existing one would have or use it as a deposit on a newer vehicle that would last us longer. The disadvantage of the first option seems to be that we would likely have to fork out an extra £200-£400 to get a direct replacement (along with the lottery of not knowing whether it has been cared for in the same way the existing one has). The disadvantage of the second is that we had been hoping not to have to replace the existing car for a couple of years and buying a newer model now would mean immediate monthly repayments we haven't budgeted for.

Can anybody with experience of write-offs clarify that the above seems an accurate summary? I appreciate there are all sorts of facts and factors that you won't know. I may be able to provide some further context if needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure