Need not Want.

Comments

• elly68 wrote: »
    well i have taken a leaf out of someoneelses book cant remember who suggested it but each time an email has arrived from amazon ,groupon ect i have unsubcribed de junking means i have also regained the 10-15 mins a day when i used to sit reading them .thank you who ever suggested it .
    on the shopping front i am finding i am now scanning to see what i can take out of the trolley not put in happy days .

In a different forum, we were set a weekly challenge, and one was to always put one thing back from your trolley every time you're at the supermarket, but I still use this one every time I go. On my way round, I have to change my mind about something and put it back, but when you put back one thing, you might find something else to put back!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    365days wrote: »
    Firewyrm...good news on your ipad. Nice little fund for up coming arrival. What's an OPI?

OPI is a nail varnish/polish. Typically quite expensive, it has a good re-sale value so even if you buy the colour and dont like it, you can usually turn it around again on Ebay.

I bought them in the wants not needs portion of my life and decided they were worth trying on Ebay.

I also have to sell a dead car for scrap, so that's going this week for a scrap price of £468 apparently. We're heading towards £700 for our new arrival so, all good.

I'm trying to get OH to part with an old 16bg ipod as well since we both have the bigger Ipod classics instead.

I gave up trying to sell that stupid filofax, so I'm sending it back to Amazon instead and taking the hit on the postage cost. I lose £6 on the deal, but that will teach me not to be so silly in future. Also, sending back to Amazon is better than nothing at all on Ebay right now.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Just came across this thread...I have an on-going problem with buying Wants not Needs (in fact my blog has that exact title!)

For example yesterday I went to our loca Asda. Did my menu plan and did my shopping list accordingly (on my phone - an app called MightyGrocery Lite - I really like it cos you can total up your shopping and when you press the item it drops it into your virtual cart and you can see how much you are spending going along - yes, you can do that with paper but this way is much more fun!)

So all went well..........then things started popping in my trolley - printer paper (actually a need cos I ran out!) followed by a reduced t-shirt. I have recently lost a bit of weight and its great to get smaller sizes but did I really need to spend that £3? No - I could afford it? (I have different pots for things and had enough in my clothes pot) yes I could but it still was not a need...

Then I picked up a Mr Muscle spray cleaner for the kitchen reduced to £1....I did need more cleaner as I was down to the dregs but I dont buy cleaners - I make them out of vinegar and water with some lemon juice chucked in if I have any - so that was a want - I like to use proper cleaners once in a while!

So I think I will go back to on-line shopping again - although you dont get the nice reductions I sometimes hit lucky with (bread down to 1p was my best haul) I am not tempted to buy anything else that is not on my list. AND after years of waiting I noticed a Sainsburys delivery van coming to my neighbours so might give them a go.....
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    OPI is a nail varnish/polish. Typically quite expensive, it has a good re-sale value so even if you buy the colour and dont like it, you can usually turn it around again on Ebay.

I've just put a couple of mine on too- just the ones I don't like/have never worn mind, I'm not yet at the point of selling stuff I still use :)
    I was also pleased to discover that my old mobiles will bring a lot more cash via ebay than via any recycling website. Might even get £10 or so for one that's about 4 upgrades ago, if I can find the charger. Most of the recycling sites kindly said they would take it off my hands for free- the cheek of it!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I thought OPI was something like 'Only Pennies In' or some sort of other ebay lingo!

Did brilliantly in Aldi today and spent £5.91...them went and blew it with 6x cans of diet coke for £1.32 (which is a bargain but I don't NEED coke)

Been toying with idea of selling my slowcooker. Just can't seem to get along with it. Been watching one on ebay (same) and went for £5 more than I paid for mine! So will think carefully and maybe stick it on.

Was going to look and see what OPI was liek but decided against it as I would be in dander of finding that I really did NEED it, when before this morning I didn't even know what it was!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    Lockup is cleared for good and everything we actually wanted to keep is now put away. The kids have a couple of new encyclopedias that were mine as a child as well as the complete works of C.S Lewis which I had forgotten I even had. Ironically, I was eying a very similar book in WHSmith late last year and wondering if I could stretch to it.

Quick win today : Lockup owes me £12 - due to come back next week.
    Quick win 2 today : organised new car insurance which drops my premium from £45 p/m to £23.60.
    Quick win 3 : Old vodafone contract confirmed as cancelled, so no more £20 per month there.

[/COLOR]
  • hedge15
    hedge15 Posts: 22 Forumite
    I didn't want to do my tax return but I did need to.

Good result: they owe me £4.86 :)
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    365days wrote: »

Was going to look and see what OPI was liek but decided against it as I would be in dander of finding that I really did NEED it, when before this morning I didn't even know what it was!

Good plan 365 nobody NEEDS OPI but it is addictive (OH -why do you have so many the same colour? me- they ARE NOT the same, you just can hardly see the difference!) but my ones on there have now sold :j feeling a little guilty tho as I sold a filofax OH gave me as a gift. But I don't use it anymore and it was taking up space *attempts to convince self its not a bad thing to do*:(

on the plus side, I've had 2 NSDs and OH comes home tomo :j
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • It's finally pay day tomorrow, and I'm quite excited for the new month. I need a couple of bits of food, but after that, I'd quite like take out £10 and see how long I can make it last. It will make me very strict about what I need.
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    As MiniCooper says, it's payday tomorrow. I just finished the monthly accounts and issued a new challenge for myself. I want to save £700 this month which should be entirely possible if I stick rigidly to my budget. This £700 will pay off the overdraft (again).

The separated 'fuel & food' account is working a treat and we're inside the budget - only just, but still....

I have £5 in my purse from the £15 at the beginning of the month and some odd coins which I'll be putting into the terramundi tomorrow.

February and March are council tax and water rate free months which add to the general good feelings.

The MIL has 'insisted' on buying a new cot for mini-fyrewrym and a colleague from work is donating a car seat, cot linens, clothes, steriliser etc and only asking for a token payment.

I have all my washable nappies rewashed and ready to go along with all the fleece liners cut from a single meter of material bought for £4.80. My beautiful bamboo fibre flat nappies are stacked in the room ready for use and we're just about ready to go.

I do however have one question....I've never yet managed to be organised enough to have a bag ready. I'm struggling to decide what might be needed. All ideas gratefully received.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills