IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

My Witness Statement is due

Comments

• ElParque
    ElParque Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    **** me! That is brilliant and every word is true.

As far as exhibits go, should I still enclose the POPLA 2015, the photos of my kids driving licences, the car park sign and other items I was going to add not included in your above work or am I now, (on your advice) just going for the keeper liability and abandoning the other defence of poorly worded signs? This was my original thought, ie that this defence needed no other point except the keeper liability one but I added the other stuff when respected posters suggested I throw the kitchen sink at it!
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ElParque wrote: »
    As far as exhibits go, should I still enclose the POPLA 2015
    Yes
    the photos of my kids driving licences,
    No
    the car park sign
    No, you're holding them to strict proof re signage
    and other items I was going to add not included in your above work or am I now, (on your advice) just going for the keeper liability and abandoning the other defence of poorly worded signs? This was my original thought, ie that this defence needed no other point except the keeper liability one but I added the other stuff when respected posters suggested I throw the kitchen sink at it!

You have got signage in your defence but best not go into it too much in your WS as you are focussing on 'no keeper liability' and 'no reasonable presumption' which are strong arguments and should ensure you win this case.

As an RK who was not the driver you won't know much about the signs as you weren't there to see them. Going on about non prominent signs incapable of forming a contract in a WS may invite questions from the judge along the lines of "how do you know if you weren't there?"

You've got the Cutts case in your defence so if you feel things aren't going well on the day you can bring the signage up...

"Sir, I'd like to discuss point #?? of my defence which highlights the woefully inept and incomprehnsible nature of the claimants signage. If the court is minded to believe that on the BoP I was the driver then the defendant submits that the claimants signage is incapable of forming a contract for the following reasons......"
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    So, maybe have the photos in my exhibits but not refer to them in my WS and only on the day if the no keeper liability defence is not accepted? Can it harm to take the photo of the sign? It does show how fantastically terrible their signs were in 2015! ok, ok....

To be honest, if I don't win on the keeper liability, I can't see me having the stomach for a fight on the signage and though I'm not complacent, how on earth can I lose on the keeper liability?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    To be honest, if I don't win on the keeper liability, I can't see me having the stomach for a fight on the signage and though I'm not complacent, how on earth can I lose on the keeper liability?
    By having a grumpy old codger who doesn't understand the finer points of PoFA (believing that Beavis overrides everything) and who's just got out of bed on the wrong side.

You need one who is freshly spanked and brandied up, with a silly smile on his face!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    By having a grumpy old codger who doesn't understand the finer points of PoFA (believing that Beavis overrides everything) and who's just got out of bed on the wrong side.

In which case, don't I need to have a good answer to Beavis in my defence?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    In which case, don't I need to have a good answer to Beavis in my defence?

I would say so. It's standard advice in most cases, whether a POPLA appeal or a court defence. Whether you can dissuade an old grump from a set-in-stone position is all part of the lottery that is the small claims court.

But unless its rehearsed, you're a hostage to fortune.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Well, my defence against Beavis would have to be based on the signage in the car park in question which was very poor, didn't comply with BPA recommendations and so there could be no contract between them and the driver.

I did mention Beavis in my original defence. I can't find any documentation - it's too complicated and it's too late now - other than the judgement in the case to include as evidence. Should I include the Supreme Court judgement?
  • Lamilad
    Your points on Beavis are argument not something you have witnessed. So you will address it in your skeleton.

They'll also make some naff points about it in their ws so you'll be able to do a full hatchet job on it in your SA.

It's mentioned in your defence so you've got it in your arsenal. I would adduce the parking eye Beavis sign with your WS.

Btw - you have mentioned that the signs in this case we're not lit... Did the alleged contravention occur in the hours of darkness?
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Lamilad wrote: »
    Your points on Beavis are argument not something you have witnessed. So you will address it in your skeleton.

They'll also make some naff points about it in their ws so you'll be able to do a full hatchet job on it in your SA.

It's mentioned in your defence so you've got it in your arsenal. I would adduce the parking eye Beavis sign with your WS.

Btw - you have mentioned that the signs in this case we're not lit... Did the alleged contravention occur in the hours of darkness?

It happened on a rainy day in January at 11am.

By adduce the PE sign, do you mean include it in the exhibits or include and refer to it in the WS?
  • Lamilad
    It happened on a rainy day in January at 11am.

By adduce the PE sign, do you mean include it in the exhibits or include and refer to it in the WS?
    Include it in the the exhibits which you will submit with your WS. No need to mention it in your WS as you will do so in your SA.

Don't include the Beavis transcript.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport