What are mu e7 times??

Options
m0bov
m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi. This is my e7 timer. https://goo.gl/photos/2TdU8qNCyBNVh95s5

Can anyone tell me what my off peak hours are? Edf tell me its 11.30am till 6.30pm. But i seem to get off peak in early morning and late evening! Thanks.

James

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You take absolutely no notice of published times and go with your analogue timerswitch time. when you took that photo the timer thought it was around 12 pm. Find out when your cheap 7 hours is by observing when the meter switches over to the night rate. EDF are not interested in the accuracy of your timerswitch.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As said above the nominal E7 timings for your area are meaningless if your mechanical clock is inaccurate. Mine is 20 minutes 'slow' but others report their clocks are hours fast or slow.

Also bear in mind that with a mechanical clock during British Summer Time 'your' 7 hours will start an hour earlier than GMT
  • m0bov
    Options
    But mine looks like its set to come on betwwen 2 and 5 pm?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    That is not an "E7" switch. You have 2 cheap periods, 1400-1700 and 2330-0730. The photo,according to the timer, was taken at 12 lunch time. You need to check when you actually switch and see what register increases. You could be getting extra cheap electric during the day if you are being billed E7.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    m0bov wrote: »
    But mine looks like its set to come on betwwen 2 and 5 pm?

What area are you in? These are UK wide timings

economy_7_map_large.jpg
    Economy 7 - cheaper electricity at night

The Economy 7 cheaper rate period typically falls 7 hours between 10pm and 8.30am, but that period can vary across the country. Most variations depend on the type of meter you have, and what time of year it is (British Summer Time etc).

The easiest way to find out your exact Economy 7 hours is to look at your meter. Meters can vary, so on some meters it will tell you the hours next to the meter or on it.
    For other meters you will need to take a note of your supply number which you can find on your meter or a recent bill and you can check your region on the map below.
  • m0bov
    Options
    I have not yet had a bill as i have not yet lived there long enough. But i have two meters and edf discribe ot as daytime and night rate. Confused. If its not e7 what is it? I am in north surrey near sutton.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That meter is what is termed "complex" (not single rate and not E7). How many different readings do you have on the 2 meters ? Are you definitely on an E7 tariff ? Does the meter definitely switch at those times, it looks like the trips are active but you need to check. Which / how many registers increase at the afternoon low period ? Is the clock telling the right time - it should be 1 hour out at the moment, just coming up to 2pm and about to change.
  • m0bov
    Options
    Yes, its correct on GMT, I am on a day/night tariff with two meters. Yes it does def switch! When it kicks on to the low tariff my underfloor heating and hot water go live.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Judging by the size of the cables coming into and out of the timeswitch, and possibly the rating plate (80A ?) and sticky label "18KW", is it possible it is just a timeswitch turning the heating on and off? Perhaps supplied through a second meter, but not necessarily?

Could you post some more pictures showing the whole arrangement of meters and consumer units? Preferably from different angles so we can see where the cables come from and go to.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • m0bov
    Options
    This was taken before I had both CUs replaced.
    https://goo.gl/photos/2nFVyRfDSrckXRuF9
    The small CU is the off peak doing hot water and under floor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure