scottish power

robt7893
robt7893 Posts: 139 Forumite
My fixed gas and elect deal finishes with scottish power on 31/08/2009 I contacted them to tell them i would be looking at other deals with the view to changeing soon, they said i would'nt be able to change suppliers before the 25th of august if they recieved an application from someone else for me to change suppliers i would have to pay them £50. so what they are saying is that i have to wait and see what they have to offer and if i don't like it tough. can they do this??
regards B.T.

Comments

• John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    We are in the same postion and want to go with edf. I wonder if you can ask that the application does not get presented until the 25th? I will have to check. I asume that you will be put on there standard choice? After the end date of the capped tariff runs out.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I also want to switch from Scottish Power to EDF, and know it will cost me £50 if I move before 30/9/09. However, there is a £60 cashback if you switch through TopCashBack

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/retailerdetailEDF_Energy.htm
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • robt7893
    this switching larks giveing me a headache, i contacted scot power last week to enquire what tariff i would be on when my fixed rate ended on 29/08 i was told i would be getting info by post on monday 3rd offering me new deals it's now friday and still nothing, i think they are waiting untill the last minute so they will panic us into chooseing one of there deals rather than look elsewhere, well if that's there game i'm afraid it makes me even more determined to move on.
  • duggo1
    duggo1 Posts: 175 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Another one here wanting to switch by the end of the month and not pay the £50 fee.

It's awful we are having to wait to swich, even though we know it take several weeks for the transfer to complete.
  • robt7893
    yes that's true i've tried pushing them along a bit but the people joe public talks too are just the puppets so what chance do we have.it also costs money talking to these people as they are all 0845 no's
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 August 2009 at 3:15PM
    robt7893 wrote: »
    yes that's true i've tried pushing them along a bit but the people joe public talks too are just the puppets so what chance do we have.it also costs money talking to these people as they are all 0845 no's
    If you have a BT landline with even the most basic calling plan, calls to 0845 numbers are free at weekends.

It's possible to get the the next package that also gives free 0845 calls in the evenings too for the same price (as long as you agree to a 12 month contract)

If you have the full monty, calls from a BT landline are free 24/7

If you haven't got a BT landline...tough! ;)
    Or try http://www.saynoto0870.com
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    I haven't got a BT landline and my 0845/0870 calls are free (actually, fully inclusive is a better description) 24/7 :confused:
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • geranium72
    geranium72 Posts: 463 Forumite
    I have just had an email form Scottish Power offering another cap until 2010 - anyone else?
    Back to comping! July wins: Frylight August wins: Pixar DVD, Diesel Watch,£75 hamper brioche products September wins bath soak

Thanks to everyone who posts comps and help :beer:
  • violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    geranium72 wrote: »
    I have just had an email form Scottish Power offering another cap until 2010 - anyone else?

Yes, it has just come through. They say this will switch me by default to Capped Price Energy September 2010 unless I opt out.

"Your Fixed Price Energy Offer ends on 31st August 2009 and because you're an important customer to us, we want to let you know what happens next.

If you're happy to cap your prices for the next 12 months, you don't need to do a thing. On 1st September 2009, we'll automatically move you to a great new deal called Capped Price Energy September 2010.*

With this deal you'll have peace of mind knowing that over the next 12 months your prices could go down, but they definitely won’t go above the capped rates.

There may be a cancellation charge if you decide to end the new deal early.** But, if you stick with it, you’ll have the reassurance that your prices will not rise above the capped rates until after 31st August 2010 – whatever happens to the market."

If I opt out, this is what they will do

If you don't want to protect your prices and would prefer to move to our standard monthly Direct Debit prices please tell us before 30th September 2009.

Standard monthly Direct Debit prices are currently the same rates as Capped Price Energy September 2010 prices and could go up as well as down.

You don't seem to get any other choices. I was planning to look around after 31st August to decide what to do next. Anyone any thoughts?

thanks violetta :)
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • geranium72
    geranium72 Posts: 463 Forumite
    I have to be honest I will stay put

I was initially with SP and back in 2002 we paid 32 a month for both gas and electric! I switched several times and all that has happened is that my bills went up and I had hassle. I switched back to SP last year - DD has now reduced from 83 to 53 a month and I like the fact I an input readings online whenever I choose and can quickly see where we are

Just my preference
    Back to comping! July wins: Frylight August wins: Pixar DVD, Diesel Watch,£75 hamper brioche products September wins bath soak

Thanks to everyone who posts comps and help :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport