Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?

SHOW
SHOW Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi,
We have been looking to buy a used car from Evans Halshaw. The salesman told us that there is no flexibility in the price as they are competitively priced and they have a 5-day price promise. Just wondering if this is the case or if it's just salesman "flannel"! Has anyone been able to get them to drop their price?

Thank you!

Comments

• brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    All that matters is - is the price competitive? - if its a good deal then no matter, If its expensive and they won't drop it then go elsewhere
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!

I've never known any car supermarket haggle. They stack them high and sell them cheap. If you walk, it'll sell at the weekend, or go back to auction. But none of the salesmen will get involved in any discounts. And they'd always been cheap to start when I've looked, but it always pays to check.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.

i can just imagine you walking round with a pipe and pretending to look in the potted plants when a tieless wonder stalks near:D
  • Jamie1981
    Jamie1981 Posts: 69 Forumite
    All depends on a variety of factors such as how long they have had it, hitting sales targets etc.

Do some homework and compare prices for similar vehicles. You should be doing this anyway if you have not already.

Evans Halshaw are cheap from the vehicles they sell locally to me but they have a shocking reputation. I bought an Audi A6 from them around 5 years ago. To be fair to EH, it was an immaculate car that was low mileage with full dealer service history that I verified with the main dealer before purchasing. At this time I had heard about some iffy dealings from them but gave them the benefit of the doubt and judged the car on it's merits.

I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up.When I did pick it up it had damage to the trim and a massive crack in the middle of the windscreen. They tried passing it off as there when I looked at the car originally but could not explain how it passed it's MOT with this massive crack 24 hours before I collected. I also checked oil and filters and they were not done either.

It turned out the salesman was using the car for the 3 days until I collected after I had paid for it in full. I rejected the car and told them to put it all right, which they agreed to do, but not before asking me to claim on my insurance for the windscreen and them re-imbursing me the £60 excess.

Please research EH before parting with any cash as I would never use the brand again after my experience. I would rather spend that little bit more from someone who prides themselves on their reputation and has got good, independent reviews.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • richard734
    richard734 Posts: 489 Forumite
    use the power of the internet :)

If you are shopping the >6/7k budget, 99% or dealers will either deliver to a franchise dealers near you or right to your door.

Took £3k off the going rate for a Used Kia Sportage Titan by shopping up north and asking them to deliver to the local Kia garage in Milton Keynes.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jamie1981 wrote: »
    I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up..
    :eek: I hope you learned from that mistake?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport