PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian quick questions thread

Due to the new "Complete Vegetarian Collection" being created, it made sense to have a Vegetarian quick questions thread.

So if you need help with substituting an ingredient/ replacing meat/ recipe help/ anything vegetarian related, then here's the place to ask.

Thanks

Zippy
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
Norn Iron club member #380

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok, I must admit to being inspired at the amount of yummy veggie meals! So I am going to make something for laters dinner.

Wanted to see if anyone had a sugestion. I have frozen onions, pepper,s weetcorn and peas. I have 2 tins of chickpeas,2 tins toms, one tin mixed bean salad, one tin kidney beans, loads of herbs and spices , garlic,cous cous, pasta, spaghetti, cheddar, frozen grated mozerella, frozen pizza - or something - dough,brown rice, baked beans,lentils, a jar of malaysian rendang (lloyd G, was 40p ! Never tasted before ) , lemon juice, mayo, 3 types of mustard, cider, frozen roast pots, frozen pot wedges, white crusty bread, fresh italian salad leaves, one fresh tomato and various nuts and seeds, tahini and box of peas. I have only beef stock cubes (ha ha, is ther irony there, bu am trying to avoid going to the shop as i will spend on things i dont need):rotfl:

SO! Has anyone any genius yum scrum meal I can come up with? Happy to freezer extra portions....:A

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I do a sort of bean and veg stew in the winter - it's very warming and great for using up bits and pieces of vegetables! It's basically onions and other veg (peppers and sweetcorn from your list, maybe), some garlic and chilli flakes, a tin of beans, a tin of tomatoes and some seasoning, all simmered together in the oven for a couple of hours. It's lovely with a bit of crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

The other one that immediately occurs from your list is stromboli - sort of a pizza swiss roll - make a tomato and onion sauce, spread it over the rolled out pizza dough, sprinkle over the grated mozzarella, then roll it up and bake in the oven until golden. It's still basically pizza, of course, but just a slightly different way of doing it!
  • zippychick
    Thanks CCP!

Oh wow ! That sounds lovely- the pizza thing. I also have some pizza base sauce frozen too - amongst a million other things of course!

The first sounds lovely too - if I chuck a tin of chickpeas in, that would stretch it too , wouldnt it? how does that sound? If I do this, i might add stock to some left over and blend it into soup - depending if the taste is good for soup....

I would tend to cook in the pot more - any difference to oven? I don't have a lidded casserole dish .

• CCP
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I think chickpeas would work - I tend to just use whatever tins of beans are in the cupboard, to be honest! Turning some into soup sounds like a good idea, too - think I'll try that next time I make this. :think:

I can't see any reason why you couldn't cook it in a pot rather than in the oven. I tend to use the oven just to keep the hob clear (I don't have a great deal of work surface space in my kitchen so the hob tends to double as storage space for saucepans) - as long as you keep the heat low and stir occasionally I'm sure it would cook away quite happily in a pot.
  • zippychick
    Great! I'm going to do it!

Well, after watching EG, I am trying to transform things, rather than just eat more portions of the same thing. Going to use one tin baked beans, one tin chick peas, and one tin toms. Thanks great help

Will let you know how it goes !

• zippychick
    Just wanted to report on my veggie dish!

Fried onion and garlic with some chilli flakes, then tipped in handful of frozen peppers, and frozen peas, tin value beans, tin chickpeas, and tin value toms. Sprinkled on some medium strength curry powder , brought to the boil , then a very low simmer.

The first half hour, it tastes pretty shocking , but once the flavours all developed it was gorgeous! I had it last night with a sprinking of cheese (then popped into microwave to melt cheese), 2 pieces of crusty bread.

it was gorgeous! very hearty and the bread was perfect for mopping it up. Very filling and i didn't "miss" meat. Same for dinner tonight, then going to add a small bit of stock to make the last smaller portion into soup and whizz half of it up to thicken.

Worked out roughly £1.30 ish including sprinkling of herbs etc and frozen veg . So that's 3 meals ! Bargain.:money: Say maybe £1.50 including the stock cube so 50 p per portion.

Thanks CCP! I took a pic to post up later - will see how it looks on computer!

• CCP
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sounds delicious - I'm glad I've just had lunch or you'd be making me feel hungry!
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2009 at 9:09PM
    Here's one for you to do in future as you'll need to buy some tofu (I use the Cauldron one).

Ingredients:

Tofu, tin tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, cheese (cheddar or other), tomato puree, soy sauce.

Method:

1. Drain tofu and squeeze out excess liquid (I wrap in tea towel and put under heavy pan). Slice in half, and then each half into 2 or 3 pieces. Sprinkle with soy sauce. Fry in pan or grill for few minutes.

2. Meanwhile fry onion and garlic in little olive oil, when soft add tin toms, herbs and tom puree. Cook til it becomes thick.

3. When tofu has cooled so you can handle it, slice a pocket in the each piece and fill with cheese.

4. Place tofu in ovenproof dish and cover with the tomato sauce.

5. Cook in oven for around 20mins on highish temperature (around 200C)

6. Serve with whatever you fancy. I made it yesterday and had roast pots with rosemary and cauliflower.

I find it lasts for few days in fridge so you can save a portion for later in week, but tofu doesn't freeze great so I wouldn't freeze it.

Enjoy!

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • zippychick
    Thanks Flutterby/ I must admit i am scared of tofu........ he he

If you would like to name your dish, I can add it to the list of Veggie recipes :)

Tomato baked tofu? or something?

• zippychick wrote: »
    Thanks Flutterby/ I must admit i am scared of tofu........ he he

If you would like to name your dish, I can add it to the list of Veggie recipes :)

Tomato baked tofu? or something?

Ummm we just called it stuffed tofu at home!

There's nothing to be scared with it, can't really go wrong with tofu. Then again I'm a tad scared of Quorn (I can eat the sausages and mince that's it). I grew up with tofu so stick to that.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills