IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Interesting information for those with a ticket for parking at Homebase

Hi

I had ticket from G24 for overstaying back in February 2015. I (stupidly) ignored it and subsequent letters (in hindsight now realise I was reading old information).

Recently received a letter from Gladstone solicitors threatening a CCJ. Anyway, I emailed Homebase and they said if I went into the store the manger could possibly do something about it. Unfortunately it seems I paid in cash and did not keep the receipt for that length of time.

The interesting bit for those who have a ticket is the assistant manager told me if I still had the receipt cancelling the ticket would be a "done deal" as they receive hundreds of these a year.

So if you have a ticket I'd advise you to try the store first before you try anything else. Bit too late for me though because of my own stupidity!

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

I had ticket from G24 for overstaying back in February 2015. I (stupidly) ignored it and subsequent letters (in hindsight now realise I was reading old information).

Recently received a letter from Gladstone solicitors threatening a CCJ. Anyway, I emailed Homebase and they said if I went into the store the manger could possibly do something about it. Unfortunately it seems I paid in cash and did not keep the receipt for that length of time.

The interesting bit for those who have a ticket is the assistant manager told me if I still had the receipt cancelling the ticket would be a "done deal" as they receive hundreds of these a year.

So if you have a ticket I'd advise you to try the store first before you try anything else. Bit too late for me though because of my own stupidity!

Did you pay by credit/debit card ?
    Did you collect your nectar points ??
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Paying cash does not alter the fact that you made a purchase and they have the power to cancel this, especially if you show that you are a regular customer.
    Do you still have the item you bought to show the manager.

I suggest you write to the CEO and complain that cash customers are being treated differently to card paying customers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 October 2016 at 12:04PM
    Thanks for this.

So Homebase won't cancel your ticket, yet they know this could involve you in a court case, courtesy of their agent? Go back and get hold of the manager. Show him/her any official documents in your possession threatening/confirming court action against you.

Then after he/she has read the docs ask him/her for a list of dates in the next six months when he/she would be unavailable for you to lodge with the court as you will be calling him/her as a witness. A degree of bluff, but watch him/her reach for the phone!

Keep pressing for the dates if a cancellation isn't offered there and then.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Did you pay by credit/debit card ?
    Did you collect your nectar points ??[/QUOTE]

Good point. It may be possible to prove a purchase that way.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thank you for the responses.

Unfortunately I've checked my bank statements and there's nothing for the date issued and I do not collect nectar points.

I've emailed the CEO previously and received a reply for someone who said they'd contacted the store and advised me to call in to see the manager.

Think I might need another trip back to the store with the tin of paint I've got left!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for the responses.

Unfortunately I've checked my bank statements and there's nothing for the date issued and I do not collect nectar points.

I've emailed the CEO previously and received a reply for someone who said they'd contacted the store and advised me to call in to see the manager.

Think I might need another trip back to the store with the tin of paint I've got left!

Just show them you spend money with them and be very assertive
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thank you for the responses.

Stores can re-print receipts from their records! You should take the 'PCN' with you to narrow the timeline and ask that they look back to locate your transaction (it will help if you can recall what was bought and even - if you know - which till was used!).

You do know NOT to pay this? You have read this forum and the NEWBIES FAQS thread, so you know it's a scam? So far G24 have not sued anyone and that 'Gladstones letter' might just be the one DRPlus send (as shown by the BMPA here):

https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203570162-Gladstones-Solicitors

If it's Gladstones 'as a debt collector' (identifiable by where the money needs to be sent) carry on ignoring the letters.

If it's a real Gladstones as a Solicitor letter (shown in the link) then you can see this letter is almost identical to the other one, save for who needs paying. This version will very often lead to a court claim whereas the other one does not.

So, if you have the scarier version, be aware we help people respond to those all the time and to defend cases v Gladstones. NONE on this forum have been lost as yet and NONE have even gone to a hearing.

BTW this forum already tells people in the NEWBIES FAQS that complaining to the retail Store manager or CEO is the first step to rid yourself of one of these farcical 'PCNs'.

Keep trying that and get a reprint done! If the Store say they can't, email the CEO again for an answer as to why they can't reprint a receipt when they have the time, date and information as to what was purchased (say that other stores do this all the time, a.g. Aldi do it to help people re ParkingEye).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thank you for all the advice.

I've emailed them again using a contact I found on here. If no luck there I'll go back into store with the information you've all given me.

Yes. I read the advice to approach the store directly. That was why I started the thread really as further proof that it really does work. As I mentioned earlier the assistant manager said it would have been a "done deal" had I had the receipt and I got the impression they cancel lots of fines. So I'd just echo the advice given...return to the store as soon as you can.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes and do ask them to reprint your receipt. Take the PCN with you to narrow the time.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure