PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    Suffice to say that 80% of 1 bed flats and 50% of 2 bed flats are owned by landlords
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be only too happy to produce a source for that statistic
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    Sure, it's the English Housing Survey.
    Mmm. From a quick squiz through, I'm not sure where you're getting those figures. Perhaps you could clarify?

Nearest I can find is Annex Table 2.2 of the Section 2 spreadsheet.

That gives 19.5% of 1 x twin bedroom properties in private owner-occupier tenure...
    BUT... 30.6% in private rental, and the other 50.0% in social rental.
    1 x single bed properties lean slightly more heavily towards private rental - 44.9%, with 12.5% owner-occupier and 42.6% social. They would mainly be in HMOs, I would have thought, so it's probably a surprise it's not higher.

Of two-bed properties, 1 x twin + 1 x single is 31.2% private rental, 47.7% owner-occupier.
    2 x twin is 49.1% owner-occupier, 28.6% private rental.

Owner-occupied properties had larger floor areas than rented, on average, in all four of those subcategories.

Those figures don't break down between houses and flats, however, so I may be missing something, but I would have thought the 1 bed house was a very rare thing... If you look at AT2.1, it does give building types - the only type where private rented are more common than owner-occupied are converted flat, purpose-built low-rise and purpose-built high-rise. In both of the purpose-built types, social rental is more common than private rental. The ONLY type where private rental is the most common is converted flat - 61.6% - but these are only 11% of private rented properties (point 2.7, p26 of the report)
  • AdrianC
    In the building where I used to live, I paid less than £250 a month for a flat purchased for around £80,000.

£250/mo would be a mortgage of around £55,000 at 2.49%.
    The year I moved in, the identical flat next door was rented out for £600pm. I've since moved out but I just checked on Rightmove and those flats are now going for £750pm.

How much per month service charge is the landlord paying within that rent? And what are sale values now?
    Even when buying isn't instantly cheaper than renting, it usually is in the long term.

That's true, but against that is flexibility.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    £250/mo would be a mortgage of around £55,000 at 2.49%.

How much per month service charge is the landlord paying within that rent? And what are sale values now?

Yes that's about right, think it was closer to £60,000 but the interest rate was very good.

Service charge was very reasonable at around £750-800 per year. Ground rent of £125.

I sold the flat for £120,000 in 2015 and bought a 3 bed house in a nice area thanks to the rise in equity. It would fetch around £135,000 now.

That landlord ain't doing so bad, is he? :cool:

(I was encouraged by many friends and family to try and keep the flat as it would have been a serious moneyspinner, but I don't agree with BTL and had no desire to be a landlord anyway.)
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/young-hull-family-say-landlord-tax-changes-could-leave-them-homeless/story-30170010-detail/story.html

So when they are homeless, who will take their place and pay 900 p.m for a basic flat in Hull, and if the landlord can get this amount why isn`t he doing so already! The mind boggles at the nonsense that is written about renting sometimes.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes that's about right, think it was closer to £60,000 but the interest rate was very good.

Service charge was very reasonable at around £750-800 per year. Ground rent of £125.

I sold the flat for £120,000 in 2015 and bought a 3 bed house in a nice area thanks to the rise in equity. It would fetch around £135,000 now.

(I was encouraged by many friends and family to try and keep the flat as it would have been a serious moneyspinner, but I don't agree with BTL and had no desire to be a landlord anyway.)

So you are not sure if you paid 60,000 or 80, 000 for a flat?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    So you are not sure if you paid 60,000 or 80, 000 for a flat?

Try to keep up, I had a £60,000 mortgage on an £80,000 flat. :T
  • AdrianC

£750/mo is £9k/year. Less the service charge/ground rent is £8,100. For a £135k property, that's about a 6% yield - right up there at the top-end.

90% mortgage (£120k) is £540/mo, plus that service charge/ground rent - £75/mo - so that's £615/mo for the flat that your neighbour was paying £660/mo for.
  • AdrianC
    Try to keep up, I had a £60,000 mortgage on an £80,000 flat. :T
    You'll have to excuse Crashy. He's not terribly bright.
  • Red-Squirrel_2

You're right about flexibility.

I do think there are people for whom renting is a better option, but I don't think private landlords should be the ones to benefit. Personally I think all rented housing should be council or HA owned rather than so many people having to gamble on individuals who range from fantastic to criminal.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    £750/mo is £9k/year. Less the service charge/ground rent is £8,100. For a £135k property, that's about a 6% yield - right up there at the top-end.

90% mortgage (£120k) is £540/mo, plus that service charge/ground rent - £75/mo - so that's £615/mo for the flat that your neighbour was paying £660/mo for.

A 90% mortgage only needs to be a 90% mortgage for the first few years though.

You also seem to be comparing a purchaser in 2015 with a renter in 2010. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure