PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari question

2»

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, I'm glad I read this thread, as I now know what 'KonMari' means.

I'm still baffled as to why it needs a book to teach common sense - and why, if the book's written by Marie Kondo, the thread's called KonMari. But it's info I can do without.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 9:36AM
    melanzana wrote: »
    A big YES to the decluttering theory of Kondo.

But a big NO to the folding techique. That lasted five minutes. Sorry about that.

It really does save a lot of space, and bizarrely, saves time as you can see everything at once.

But I agree, it does seem a bit OTT
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    love the folding part. it definitely helps. tidy draws and shelves and I can see most things right away. easy to find and easy to spot if too much stuff is creeping back in.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Contemplating gathering everything from one category in one place before I even start disposing of it makes me want to shove it all back in the cupboard and forget about it for the next 12 months.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    elsien wrote: »
    Contemplating gathering everything from one category in one place before I even start disposing of it makes me want to shove it all back in the cupboard and forget about it for the next 12 months.

then don't, just do one shelf or draw. make life easy .
    :)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is a list with smaller categories, so not 'clothes', but 'vests'. It helps if you can start, continue, and finish a category in one go.

I like having less choice, it makes it easy to get dressed, easy to put away, easy to clean, easy to goof off for an afternoon without any niggly feelings of guilt.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Like lots of others, I started with knickers :) Nothing like a tidy knicker drawer to motivate you. Now ALL My drawers are beautifully tidy and stay that way. It's weird. But very satisfying. It also makes packing for work trips very easy, and unpacking and living in hotels.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) You could start with a sub-category if the volume is overwhelming. Such as all long-sleeved tops, or all thrillers.

I like the folding and am finding it really useful because I can SEE what I've got in the drawers, as opposed to losing things under other things, and then having them emerge all crushed, creased and tragic. Reloading the drawer is so easy, shove the contents to one side and add the returned onto the end of the line. And packing is a breeze as the neat little packets come out and into the case with no fuss or muss.

Unless you've got shedloads of space for hanging clothes (I just have one 3 ft rail) I guess you'll be folding things to put them into drawers anyway, so might as well do it in an efficient way.

But that's my two'pennorth and others should do what makes them happy.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Beenie wrote: »
    I am really interested in this concept.

We are slowly becoming overwhelmed with 'stuff' and every nook and cranny, every shelf, every cupboard, is crammed. It would be a nightmare task to empty them all. We are in our early sixties and have a lifetime's collection of books, holiday souvenirs, inherited junk, old shoes etc. etc.
    I think I will skip on to the main thread and get some ideas and support!

Been there, done that beenie. Now nine years on, started with basic de-cluttering with no name. Then my husband died two years ago and I found the main MK thread, which has been invaluable, uplifting and positive, enabled me to move forwards. Had to start slow with nibbles here and there, starting with underwear, like almost everyone. Now I have a home with free flowing good energy and very easy to clean and run, it is so worth doing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure