International & UK CallChecker discussion

Comments

• Hi all,

The changes by Ofcom have meant that the tool isn't accurate, and we've acknowledged that in the red warning box at the top of the tool.

Unfortunately, it’s curently in a backlog and it will be looked at, we just can’t say when at the moment. It’s dependent on a number of teams and other priorities and that can take time.

From a technical point of view, the complexity of the system means it's challenging to ensure it's running as smoothly as possible, but we are looking at ways to make that better.

I hope that helps for now - if I can update you further, I will.

Many thanks,

MSE Sally
  • I think MSE should take the call checker off line. I noticed that after I select the country the next page opens directly where the first number is, below the disclaimer, so in this case the disclaimer is pointless.
  • mihaid
    mihaid Posts: 136 Forumite
    MSE_Sally wrote: »
    From a technical point of view, the complexity of the system means it's challenging to ensure it's running as smoothly as possible

I thought that Ofcom meant to make it easier to understand.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ofcom has made things simpler.

For 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers, the call cost is the Access Charge set by the caller's landline or mobile provider and the Service Charge that applies for the number that was called.

The tool simply needs to show both of those items.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    Who do you think is cheaper then 5p connection and 0.5p a minute then.

Some VoIP providers.

In the last week this house has made 5 calls totalling about 15 minutes, including a brief one to a mobile.

2.53 cents. With 18185 that would have been 34.5 pence.

Actually that's not complete. There have also been about 50 minutes of calls with 2 VoIP applications on the mobile connected to home wifi. These calls were free.
  • mihaid
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Ofcom has made things simpler.

mse sally disagrees a few posts above.

technically challenging she said.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    I think "complexity of the system" refers to the complexity of the program code that runs the current tool, rather than any judgement on the new pricing system.
  • Hi folks,

Sorry to confuse you! But I was referring to our systems, not the changes Ofcom has made.

Hope that makes it clearer.

MSE Sally
  • mihaid
    MSE_Sally wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Sorry to confuse you! But I was referring to our systems, not the changes Ofcom has made.

Hope that makes it clearer.

MSE Sally

It's clear now.

However, if Ofcom made things easy why do you carry on with a complicated system?
  • I think the Ofcom ruling is confusing and seems to have handed a large additional profit to BT. We have two daughters in Australia and using the International Call Checker we have averaged our calls to 1p per minute. Then came the set up charge but even so a call of 1 hour was about 70p. Since these changes that call now costs over £7.
    Thus it will be cheaper to go for one of the BT International Call packages. You add these to whichever calling plan you are on.
    Friends and Family is £1.25 per month and calls cost 2.9p per minute plus 16.8p set up fee per call.
    International Freedom is £6.60 per month which gives you 600 free minutes included and no set up fees.
    On that basis the International Call Checker info needs updating urgently!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure