What small MSE things will you do w/c 5th March

Comments

• 1LuckyLady wrote: »
    Thanks Ally :)

Mini rant coming Be Warned!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: My son text me from the school bus on the way home to let me know he needs ingredients for cookery.... tomorrow!! They should have been told about it last week but as they were sent home with the snow warning they were left a message in their home room this morning which Ds1 didn't pay any attention to until someone on the bus said about it being for tomorrow. Now I have quite a good store cupboard in but we still had to go out to get marshmallows, digestive biscuits, dark chocolate and syrup another £5+ spent in the shop for ds to take to school (after measuring out at home) they will mix the stuff together and then bring it home - there is no actual cooking involved...just mixing. So far in this school he's made (I use the term "made" loosely!)
    Scones, that he mixed at school and cooked at home
    A fruit salad
    A pizza (on prem-made shop bought bases) that he then covered with tomato puree, cheese and pepperoni and then brought home to cook

I don't know if this is what all school's do but its very different to when I was at school when we made spag bol and cottage pie etc and actually cooked things!!

ok rant over....normal service will resume...

And they wonder why people can't cook and rely on convenience foods... :cool:

We did do some cooking at school (I'm 34) and it was of the proper type, but luckily I had a mum who was a very good cook and an excellent baker and she taught me.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    1LuckyLady wrote: »

I don't know if this is what all school's do but its very different to when I was at school when we made spag bol and cottage pie etc and actually cooked things!!

In the 1908s/90s we had "proper" cookery lessons. But only 8 per year because we were encouraged to concentrate on "intellectual pursuits". So on leaving school I could recite pi to 20 places and quote Socrates, but only cook a very small number of dishes. Who needs to eat anyway? :rotfl:
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Today I will:
    RM survey
    Wash hair and let it dry naturally Done
    Do weeks shop whilst children are at their gym lesson this morning, to prevent them encouraging me to go off list & to save time Done
    Set WM to run overnight Not enough for a load delayed for another day
    Set DW to run overnight Done
    BLD from stores Done
    Stick to meal plan Done
    Book on to HE workshop Done
    Home Educate childen Done

Both myself and DD are learning to knit, I need to have a look at mine as some how I have an extra 3 stitches, if I'm successful in sorting this, I'll get the 2 of us to do some practice.

A friend came round for a cuppa and catch up whilst her eldest was at training this evening. So much cheaper than meeting up outside the house.

I didn't get round to sorting out the knitting, that will need to roll over until tomorrow.

I also took one for the team today, I ate leftover apple crumble, just to make sure we keep the fridge under control :rotfl:
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

I also took one for the team today, I ate leftover apple crumble, just to make sure we keep the fridge under control :rotfl:

I like your thinking BB :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Baileys_Babe
    foxgloves wrote: »
    BB - Am impressed you are learning to knit! I was hopeless when I first started learning aged 8 or 9. But in the summer before I moved out of home to become a student, I managed to knit a whole garment....a long hippyfied jumper (well, it was the 1980s) with a tie-neck & pompoms! I just really took to it from then on & it really comes in useful for knocking out hand knitted gifts, esp for new babies......& the hippyfied blokes in my life who really seem to love funky socks knitted in self-patterning yarn.

It is still very early days with the learning to knit. My Mum & Sister are and my Grandma was fantastic at knitting I, on the other hand, have always been all over the place. I can remember my Grandma trying to teach me a couple of time when I was a child and both my Sister and Mum have attempted since I've been an adult, usually, I end up forgetting which thing goes where and my elbows are all over the place and I give up after about 5 minutes.
    This time I am determined to actually learn. Me and DD have patterns for simple dolls clothes we are attempting. I cast on for myself this time and could even work out what I had done wrong and how to correct it.
    I would learn a lot quicker if my Mum could spend a couple of minutes with me each day but that isn't exactly viable as she lives over 100 miles away.
    One of the things I eventually want to be able to knit is socks, as hand knitted socks are such a luxury.
    DD has a very different personality to me if she decides she is going to master a skill she will.

One
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2018 at 9:13AM
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    Good Morning All

Dawn - Hope you manage to find some time for yourself as you sound so busy at the mo

Today we have/will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Meat in SC for tea - Done
    Gym (rehab/physio) - Done, loved it
    DIY Pamper session - Done
    Prep a couple of letters/parcels -
    Purge a few emails - Done a few
    Enter a few comps - Done a couple
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL - Done

Have a great day all.

C x

Another good day but tired now. I also remembered to order prescriptions.

Love my "new" gym it has everything - a dedicated ladies only area, fab equipment, swimming pool, a pay as you feel cafe, library and looks and feels like lots going on. After my session today while I waited for DH and BIL I spent some time in the library.

Came home from the gym to a lovely surprise, a £50 cheque from a magazine comp win :j

Night all xx

Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Baileys_Babe
    Thanks Ally :)

Mini rant coming Be Warned!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: My son text me from the school bus on the way home to let me know he needs ingredients for cookery.... tomorrow!! They should have been told about it last week but as they were sent home with the snow warning they were left a message in their home room this morning which Ds1 didn't pay any attention to until someone on the bus said about it being for tomorrow. Now I have quite a good store cupboard in but we still had to go out to get marshmallows, digestive biscuits, dark chocolate and syrup another £5+ spent in the shop for ds to take to school (after measuring out at home) they will mix the stuff together and then bring it home - there is no actual cooking involved...just mixing. So far in this school he's made (I use the term "made" loosely!)
    A fruit salad
    A pizza (on pre-made shop bought bases) that he then covered with tomato puree, cheese and pepperoni and then brought home to cook.

ok rant over....normal service will resume...

I think your rant is very justified, what a waste of everybody's time and money.

When I was at school in the 1980's we learnt how to cook from scratch.

I think the school should be teaching pupils kitchen skills and what terminology means and hopefully how to make quick, healthy cheap meals.
    I was always taught that scones needed to be cooked ASAP after adding the liquid as it will affect the rise.

We are teaching our 2 to cook. I originally started on them being able to get something for themselves to eat, really for my own piece of mind as OH works away from home a few days a week and I worried what we would do if I was too ill to make them something, thankfully this has never happened. we planned to start with something simple and then the next dish would be taking that further as well as incorporating new skills. It isn't quite going to plan as DS eats something then asks can he learn to cook that and DD often helps OH whether he wants it or not :D We are going to work out what skills we want them to have, which include the clearing up afterwards, as well as a selection of meals they should have as a core. Both of mine are cabable bakers I now want them to be able to cook meals.

It looks like you have a project on your hands over the summer teaching your sons to cook.

One
  • Baileys_Babe
    Congratulations Ziggy

One
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    lbaileys babe you tube is a good source of teachings for knitting, I found it most useful when I recently returned after many years away from it.
    Ziggy congrats :D

Have to run to get to work, will post my list later.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2018 at 10:37AM
    Morning :) BB I agree with purps youtube has helped me learn to knit. I love my socks!

ziggy great day! Congrats :)

Today I am meeting up with a friend going to the swimming pool and sauna at the gym I have a 3 day free trial pass with :D I went yesterday with dd and it was lovely!

Before I do that I want to nip to the CS and see if I can pick up any ramekins.

other things:

* Put away yesterday's washing and [STRIKE]do another load[/STRIKE]
    * onepoll
    * [STRIKE]portion of soup out of the freezer for lunch[/STRIKE]
    * gas & elec search
    * making pizza for tea to use up chicken and salad bits. Portion of hm pesto out of the freezer
    * froze enough rubber chicken for another pizza ;)
    * also got out half price pack of mozzarella (24p), a ys frozen yogurt for madam and some prefrozen pizza base sauce
    * when I make pizza I will double up the dough and freeze one for another day ;)
    * clean front room windows
    * [STRIKE]read martin's newsletter [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* updated spending diary & monthly gc spends [/STRIKE]
    * finish sorting out madam's World Book Day outfit (was postponed last week due to weather)
    * bake banana cake - must do this!
    * sort out work clothes/bag/phone etc
    * knitting and audio book

Ok that'll do. Have a great day
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing