Maybe I'm missing something, but ...............

Options

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's always the option of unglorified bus driver jobs.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Which may be preferable to unemployment

There's big demand for pilots, they won't be unemployed for long.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Which may be preferable to unemployment
    Eight or nine years ago, maybe, when there was a downturn and airlines were closing. Not today. There is no possibility of unemployment

I was talking to a Ryanair pilot on Monday and he was explaining the job market for pilots. Basically demand outstrips supply by a lot and it is getting worse over the coming years, not better. Ryanair made noises to the effect that Monarch pilots were welcome to join them pretty much straight away when the receivership announcements was made, but everyone knows they can do better and Ryanair would be a last resort.

The person I was talking to is leaving Ryanair in a few months for a different employer with much better pay and terms and conditions. His opinion of O'Leary is the same as mine, not a good one.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weight has been and always will be a major factor in aviation math, and if pax will insist on traveling with more than the clothes they're wearing then airlines will likewise insist on extracting from them as much money as possible for hold baggage.

As it's long been obvious that the presence of Michael O'Leary is an excessive burden, the time has surely come for Ryanair to charge him the same as it does any other passenger on a short-haul flight: £27 every 2 hours of every day of every week, this to continue until such time as Mr O'Leary understands that flying isn't for him and that he should go back to being a newsagent.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shortage of pilots, airlines collapsing..... all bad news for the consumer
  • codger
    Options
    mikeeboy wrote: »
    Shortage of pilots, airlines collapsing..... all bad news for the consumer

What shortage of pilots???

As to airlines collapsing, I'm amazed Monarch got away for so long, trading at so great a loss: the figures it posted for last year were so appalling that there could never have been any reasonable expectation of commercial survival.

The bad news for the consumer, as far as I'm concerned, is what happens now that Monarch's management and directors have pocketed their fat salaries and it seems the rest of us are stuck with the £30 million bill (or more) for flying Monarch customers home again.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,523 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    "the rest of us are stuck with the £30 million bill (or more) for flying Monarch customers home again"

An incorrect statement - the taxpayer does not cover the bill.

ATOL exists to cover this situation.

For every airline ticket sold the airline pays the CAA for ATOL Protection Insurance - it's £2.50 a ticket.

One reason Monarch went down is they couldn't afford the ATOL payments.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    "the rest of us are stuck with the £30 million bill (or more) for flying Monarch customers home again"

An incorrect statement - the taxpayer does not cover the bill.

ATOL exists to cover this situation.

For every airline ticket sold the airline pays the CAA for ATOL Protection Insurance - it's £2.50 a ticket.

One reason Monarch went down is they couldn't afford the ATOL payments.
    I don't believe ATOL covers flight only bookings.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't believe ATOL covers flight only bookings.

The answer to that is, Yes it does, in some cases.
    ATOL wrote:
    Does ATOL cover flight-only bookings?

Yes, in some cases. If you book a flight with an ATOL holder (either direct or through a travel agent) and you get an ATOL Certificate as soon as you make payment, your booking is protected if the ATOL holder fails and the ATOL holder is also obliged to offer a refund should the airline that you are booked with fail financially.

https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection/Consumers/Exceptions-to-ATOL-protection/
  • codger
    Options
    Mea culpa, and apologies. Monarch's inability to operate, including its inability to make ATOL payments, led me to think -- erroneously -- that the bill for bringing its customers home would have to be met from the public purse.

Thanks to contributors to this thread, I've now looked into the Air Travel Trust, administered by the CAA's Consumer & Markets Group. As of March this year, the ATT had a £145 million surplus.

'Course, that doesn't mean that the Monarch hit will leave everything and everyone unscathed. If as a result, ATT contributions are pushed up from £2.50 per fare to £3.00 to make up for costs incurred, then that increase will be passed on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure