The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Like Alex, I'm glad you managed to get to Mrs E's gran's funeral - I know she was very elderly, but the potential for distress if a funeral is disrupted is immense :( though sometimes the opposite happens: I saw pics of another funeral from yesterday, on tv, a woman tweeted that the hearse couldn't get to her grandfather's coffin to attend the funeral ... and the local fire brigade turned up, to carry the coffin down the frozen hill to the hearse ... really quite something.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Didn't know there are two Irn Bru recipes. What's the difference?

Original Irn Bru had a healthy slug of sugar (about the same calories as Coca Cola) and lots of E numbers.

New recipe Irn Bru has dialled down the sugar (all hail the nanny state), lots of E numbers and a raft of sweeteners including Aspartame. If the gummint wants us all to lose weight, that's fine, but I'll limit my intake like all big boys. I don't like the change, especially when they already had 2 other lower calorie options in the range!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I saw pics of another funeral from yesterday, on tv, a woman tweeted that the hearse couldn't get to her grandfather's coffin to attend the funeral ... and the local fire brigade turned up, to carry the coffin down the frozen hill to the hearse ... really quite something.

I like that KC - just getting it done :)

£0.88 paid off a CC.

On an unrelated note - does anyone who reads my ramblings have a rechargeable LED lantern? My first generation camping lantern has died after about 5 years (the battery has gone and can't be replaced without soldering). I'd appreciate any recommendations that you might have - it's been an invaluable tool whether getting meter readings, completing minor bits of wiring, decorating, or just finding things in winter. Any thoughts appreciated :beer:
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Original Irn Bru had a healthy slug of sugar (about the same calories as Coca Cola) and lots of E numbers.

With the charmingly named Ponceau Yellow - which sounded a bit Ponceau to me...
    New recipe Irn Bru has dialled down the sugar (all hail the nanny state),

Well it's actually changes wrought by the Scottish Government, rather than the full Nanny State. The Scottish politicians wanted the National Drink of Scotland to be more like themselves. So they've caused it to be injected with fake sweetness, and stuff which has been alleged to cause cancer.

Job Done.
    On an unrelated note - does anyone who reads my ramblings have a rechargeable LED lantern? My first generation camping lantern has died after about 5 years (the battery has gone and can't be replaced without soldering). I'd appreciate any recommendations that you might have

If you like it that much, then I'd recommend you solder it.
    it's been an invaluable tool whether getting meter readings, completing minor bits of wiring, decorating, or just finding things in winter. Any thoughts appreciated :beer:

Assuming that's what you want it for, and not actually wanting a camping lantern, then search for "Cob Work Light".
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    I think you have a much more specific interpretation of "nanny state" than most people. We try and avoid conversations about political parties at home due to the old adage about opinions and !!!!!! ;) That said, we'll still discuss specific aspects of politics (say Brexit being a shambles, or whether childcare vouchers are better than tax free childcare). We try and avoid this.

Thank you for the suggestion re. soldering. It turns out that the connections aren't actually soldered, it's just a little over-engineered. Two metal bands with magnetic clasps hold the battery and these are screwed into the base of the lamp, obscuring the connections. It was easy enough to remove them and a replacement battery was £9.75. Not cheap, but better than the £20 or so I was looking at for a more up-to-date replacement :beer:
  • ZTD
    I think you have a much more specific interpretation of "nanny state" than most people.

No, it's the other way round. The Nanny State I'm referring to affects 70 million people in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The one you're referring to only affects 5 million people in Scotland - approximately 7% of that total. That's rather more specific.
    Thank you for the suggestion re. soldering. It turns out that the connections aren't actually soldered, it's just a little over-engineered. Two metal bands with magnetic clasps hold the battery and these are screwed into the base of the lamp, obscuring the connections. It was easy enough to remove them and a replacement battery was £9.75.

:eek: :shocked:

What sort of battery was it?
    Not cheap, but better than the £20 or so I was looking at for a more up-to-date replacement :beer:

Depending on the age of your lantern, it may be still worth looking at the new ones. The old ones (like what I have... :whistle: ) use what's called "top hat white LEDs", whereas the new ones use a blue LED exciting a phosphor coating (the "cob" I referred to earlier) which give a brighter and better (depending on how you like your spectrums) light and drain the battery less.

Technology moves on...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    My understanding of the phrase differs somewhat from the dictionary, as meaning, in essence, "any undue interference from government". Hence your example of UK gov would be more specific. I realise that I'm probably using the phrase incorrectly, I think I must have a very global outlook :)

Battery is 6v 4ah? A big beastie (something like 10x7x5).

I'm torn between vaguely liking being up-to-date when it comes to practical tools that get used every few days and not wanting to chuck something out that will only end up in landfill. At least if I replace the battery, I can dispose of that safely and keep the housing/bulbs etc. Being less efficient isn't a big issue, as I try and charge appliances when the solar panels are doing their thing.
  • edinburgher
    Spent a couple of hours shovelling snow :eek: My stamina might be getting better from the running, but I have the muscle tone of droopy plasticine :rotfl:

Still, have managed to clear the pavements all around the house (we sit on a corner plot, so was more work than I expected). Also cleared the paths, the driveway and put down plenty of salt (just as well, the !!!!!!! snow is back)!

Also hoovered; cleaned the heat exchanger on the tumble dryer; serviced the coffee maker; took out the rubbish and recycling; washed the dishes; made a black eyed bean stew for dinner and ordered a couple of small home maintenance purchases that I'd been forgetting about. Now to order Mrs E's crazy Mother's Day request - a heated throw :D
  • ZTD
    Battery is 6v 4ah? A big beastie (something like 10x7x5).

Lead acid?! I was assuming lithium...

Those do cost - about half is postage... :rotfl:
    Now to order Mrs E's crazy Mother's Day request - a heated throw :D

I'd wait and see how March shapes up before dismissing it as anything other than eminently sensible...there's a low headed in at the end of next week which may "bless" Scotland with northerlies as it passes...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    £38.57 paid off a CC (Am@zon voucher recycling) :T
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ZTD wrote: »
    Lead acid?! I was assuming lithium...

Those do cost - about half is postage... :rotfl:

I'd wait and see how March shapes up before dismissing it as anything other than eminently sensible...there's a low headed in at the end of next week which may "bless" Scotland with northerlies as it passes...

What does this mean pplease?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback