PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does his ex get half his house even she never lived there?

Comments

• Cat236
    Cat236 Posts: 16 Forumite
    My boyfriend says she gave him no money at all for anything.
    From what he has said when he bought the house it needed work doing to it. He had the money to buy it and pay for some of the work. What was decided was when his ex moved in she would take out a loan and they would do up the rest of the house. I think that was why they had the decalartion of trust done so when her money went into the house it was safe. If she lived or put money into the house I could accept that he should give her money for the house. But it's the fact she never lived or put money into the house where it feels unfair.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Has anybody actually contacted the ex?
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

2. He never understood half what he was doing and has subsequently forgotten the half that he did..

he was in love at the time and envisaged a lifetime of bliss and contentment.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Hi,
    Has anybody actually contacted the ex?

and is she really wanting a cut, maybe she is living in a mansion now.
  • Cat236 wrote: »
    My boyfriend says she gave him no money at all for anything.
    From what he has said when he bought the house it needed work doing to it. He had the money to buy it and pay for some of the work. What was decided was when his ex moved in she would take out a loan and they would do up the rest of the house. I think that was why they had the decalartion of trust done so when her money went into the house it was safe. If she lived or put money into the house I could accept that he should give her money for the house. But it's the fact she never lived or put money into the house where it feels unfair.

It's incredibly unfair. Essentially he gave her the interest in the house in anticipation of a future payment and she never made the future payment. However, unless the legal document mentions that future payment, it's not part of the legal contract. So legally, he seems to be screwed. He was incredibly poorly advised to do things this way around; it's like signing a contract to give a car to somebody if they tell you verbally they will pay next month, but they will pay you the money as a gift in an entirely separate transaction. You have to tie the two together.

Don't worry about whether she lived there; it's irrelevant.
  • Has anybody actually contacted the ex?

The first post says " When they first broke up he asked her to take her name off as occupant but she refused. ", so that doesn't bode well.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    The first post says " When they first broke up he asked her to take her name off as occupant but she refused. ", so that doesn't bode well.

That was 8 years ago though! Very likely she's moved on and possibly even forgotten, after all she's not been trying to claim her share so far.

(or maybe the boyfriend isn't being entirely open and honest here?)
  • frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

that was 8 years ago, she'll have a new life now, and probably various boyfriends since.

Unless she keeps track on things waiting for a 'kill'.

Mmm, that would be a good ploy, agree to buy house together and move in, get name on documents, then split, would only have to do one every couple of years, and then go for the 'kill'.
  • That was 8 years ago though! Very likely she's moved on and possibly even forgotten, after all she's not been trying to claim her share so far.

(or maybe the boyfriend isn't being entirely open and honest here?)

She wouldn't have a claim until the house was actually sold.

In fact, it might ( I don't know) actually be incumbent on the solicitor to pay the money directly to the named beneficiaries on sale. So you'd then be reliant on her giving it back.
  • Cat236
    Cat236 Posts: 16 Forumite
    So a lot posts came at once so I'll try to answer as best.
    No contact with ex just yet. He's not been in contact with her since they ended the relationship. He doesnt know where she is but we will trying to find her now. Without going to personal he caught her cheating on him, he wanted to break up she got mad and went to live with the other man. I think that's why she refused to change the decalartion. Looking at that information it doesn't bode well. Though for eight years she's made no contact to even talk about the house. she could of asked him to sell so maybe that's a positive maybe she's over the whole thing.
    He was advised wrong about the declaration twice when it was put in place and when she refused to take her name off it. A solicitor told him not worry about it. so can't blame him in that way and he was in love at the time. You don't think your going to breakup in the moment.
    Trying to keep hopefull but it doesn't look good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure