Phone calls - scam

Options

Comments

• alexhardy
    Options
    Ignore the caller for a cheaper solution.The best way.
    Your signature has been removed by the forum team - please read the forum rules for an explanation of what is and isn't allowed in your signature.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My latest one is to tell them that I only deal with scams that are put in writing rather than over the phone and ask them to write to me. I just repeat this a couple of times and then they hang up. Boiler room share buying scam is the latest one I am getting, someone has got hold of the list of Woolworths shareholders (I had a few dividend shares I never did anything with) and they are offering to buy your worthless shares. You just need to provide a few details ....
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Make a recording on your smart phone of one of these and play it when they ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QakcwQHzPoY
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just bought a BT phone with Call Guardian to replace an old phone that was getting iffy.
    Had it about a month now. No calls from call centres have actually made the phone ring, although we have had a couple most days according to the log.
    So far only one problem with a "wanted" call getting through. That was down to the person calling though.
    So I reckon that's the best "fix" for the unwanted calls.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Make a recording on your smart phone of one of these and play it when they ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QakcwQHzPoY

Haha, I think they would soon stop if op used number 2.
  • rockiedog
    rockiedog Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My mobile rang with this number:
    I cant find out who is was but Id like to know.
    I dont answer unknown numbers.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May 2017 at 8:50AM
    Options
    0345 163 2127 is a number that is not in service. However, calls never actually come from non-geographic numbers. Calls can only come from a landline or mobile phone or from a VoIP user. When you see a non-geographic number on screen, this is merely a "presentation number" programmed by the caller.

When a call is received from a genuine outbound callcentre, caller display will not show the number of the calling line, it will instead show the central number for their inbound call centre should you wish to return the call. It is however, not permitted to show a premium rate number (070, 084, 087, 09, etc) on caller display.

When a scammer calls, the caller display could show almost anything. They also have equipment that overrides what is shown on screen. The caller display screen could show a premium rate number that makes them money if you call back (this is how "missed call" scams, aka "wangiri", work), a number that doesn't exist (so you can't call back or trace call), a number that belongs to someone else (such as a bank, to try to "prove" the scammer is really your bank) or just random junk (so the call cannot be traced by the called party). It will not show the caller's actual number as that would make them easier to trace.

Caller display in no way verifies who is actually calling. It may give a hint as to who is calling but only if you recognise the number.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    0345 163 2127 is a number that is not in service. However, calls never actually come from non-geographic numbers. Calls can only come from a landline or mobile phone or from a VoIP user. When you see a non-geographic number on screen, this is merely a "presentation number" programmed by the caller.

When a call is received from a genuine outbound callcentre, caller display will not show the number of the calling line, it will instead show the central number for their inbound call centre should you wish to return the call. It is however, not permitted to show a premium rate number (070, 084, 087, 09, etc) on caller display.

When a scammer calls, the caller display could show almost anything. They have equipment that overrides what is shown on screen. This includes a premium rate number that makes them money if you call back, a number that doesn't exist, a number that belongs to someone else or just random junk. It will not show the caller's actual number as that would make them easier to trace.
    So is it possible to detect the real number and block it ?
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    No.

Additionally, any call blocking based solely on caller ID is doomed to failure. Scammers have learned to change the presentation number each time they call.

The only solution that works is for all unknown callers to be issued with a verbal challenge which has to be passed before the called phone rings. This is the approach adopted by the plug-in trueCall devices and this is the system that is built in to the BT Call Guardian handsets.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

Yes it is.... but not on the PSTN (Public Network). With an ISDN connection you can see not simply the 'presentation' number, but the actual line I'd used to make the call. This is viewed by looking at the C7 signalling field and once known you can do all sorts of clever things, even with ISDN2. You get to see withheld and spoofed numbers (along with the code that says do not show!). However, costs for such flexibility do not come cheap and with a normal phone line all you can realistically do is block or ignore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure