Advice - Stocks and Shares ISA

Options
Hi all,

Just after a little advice - I've overpaid my mortgage this year and have an established an emergency fund - I'm looking to contribute to an S&S ISA.

Ideally I'd like to invest to a fund that pays income monthly so that I have the flexibility to deploy received funds as need dictates.

In reality I'll end up reinvesting in the same fund.

I wondered if this strategy would have an adverse effect on my ISA allowance or incur unnecessary charges.

TIA.
Fortior quo paratior

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So long as the money doesn't leave the ISA wrapper, it won't impact your ISA allowance, and if you choose a platform that doesn't charge for fund transactions you won't incur unnecessary charges (unless you could otherwise have had a cheaper fixed fee platform).

However, not many funds pay monthly income, and restricting yourself to those that do seems unnecessarily limiting, since those funds will be targeted at people who need a monthly income, which you don't.

Do you intend to contribute monthly, or just lumps sums as and when you have them available?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Pipz
    Pipz Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The current plan is to pay in a fixed amount each month -with any additional disposable income for that month paid in after that.
    Fortior quo paratior
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2017 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Pipz wrote: »

Ideally I'd like to invest to a fund that pays income monthly so that I have the flexibility to deploy received funds as need dictates.

In reality I'll end up reinvesting in the same fund.

I wondered if this strategy would have an adverse effect on my ISA allowance or incur unnecessary charges.

TIA.

No, but a better plan especially if you plan to reinvest in the same fund would be to invest in an accumulation fund.

Should you wish to take any income out of the ISA or invest it elsewhere inside, just sell some units.

As said by EcoMiser, to make it worse, a monthly paying fund will be very restrictive since there arent many and most likely give you a poorly performing fund to boot.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    However, not many funds pay monthly income, and restricting yourself to those that do seems unnecessarily limiting, since those funds will be targeted at people who need a monthly income, which you don't.
    I would suggest to anyone wanting monthly income from a fund could instead split their investment into three funds which pay quarterly income. Just make sure that the pay day for each of the three falls in a different month.
  • novice_1
    novice_1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of limiting yourself to those paying a monthly dividend, just invest in an accumulator and sell out as/when you need. Over the long term, talking averages, you should see a monthly increase in the capital value.
  • Pipz
    Pipz Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

My next question (and I appreciate this will vary between users) is which funds/platform is recommended for and individual with little experience in investing should go with?

I've made a start at researching with MSE's guide and trying to pick up info from this forum and currently Cavendish Online seems a good option as it gives access to Fidelity (which I think is a fund?).

Having browsed online - I can see that Cavendish makes up a mock portfolio with varying percentages attributed to different funds within a portfolio. Whilst I understand the importance of diversification does that apply to funds within a platform or is a better approach to subscribe to different platforms as well (one per Tax year ofc).

TIA.
    Fortior quo paratior
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    Why would different platforms make any difference ? It's the investments that grow (or diminish), the platform is just a container. The only thing having several containers will do is make it more complex and almost certainly more expensive.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Why would different platforms make any difference ? It's the investments that grow (or diminish), the platform is just a container. The only thing having several containers will do is make it more complex and almost certainly more expensive.

isnt it a good idea to spread investments across a couple of platforms in case one goes bust? at least when the size becomes large enough to move to another platform.
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    Only if you are ultra paranoid because the funds aren't held in the platforms name so if they went bust someone else would take over the admin and tehnfunds would still be in the investors name not the platforms.
    It would require a scam larger than Madoff to abscond with the money. . Maybe it's something the OP can worry about when their ISA gets to £50k.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pipz wrote: »

I've made a start at researching with MSE's guide and trying to pick up info from this forum and currently Cavendish Online seems a good option as it gives access to Fidelity (which I think is a fund?).

Having browsed online - I can see that Cavendish makes up a mock portfolio with varying percentages attributed to different funds within a portfolio. Whilst I understand the importance of diversification does that apply to funds within a platform or is a better approach to subscribe to different platforms as well (one per Tax year ofc).

TIA.

Fidelity isn't a fund in this context, it is the platform. Cavendish act as your Execution Only Broker in effect and use the Fidelity platform for the transactions.

They have done a deal with Fidelity to market their product and have negotiated a deal that typically means it is cheaper to use them than go to Fidelity direct.

Fidelity also offer their own range of funds so it can be confusing when you first look. These are on offer via Cavendish/Fidelity as are
    plenty of others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport