Apple muncher's number crunching

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 December 2013 at 4:38PM
    Dec 4th and NSD4 too-Woohoo!

Work is finished for the week, apart from a course on Friday. Dd is still full of snot but is managing to do school, which is good.

Got quite a lot of knitting done, tho I always seem to forget how long the little fiddly bits take.

Have signed up to Quidc0 and got a few pennies in the pot. Got a colleague a leaving present, which will be reimbursed, so not even my money! Also ordered stuff for my mum, so will get that money back. And today did a big order for work, which I'll need to reclaim before we break for Christmas. Shame I couldn't get cashback on that one!

Tomorrow :-
    -take box to send shop for mus1cmagp1e forgot!
    -food shop done
    -take a cottage pie to friend's - she has post-viral fatigue syndrome and 3 kids!doneq
    -exercise + shower(!)done
    -plan route for training course on Fri done
    -top up Oyster so can travel on Fri done
    -read Latin book
    -finish cats + Goldilocks puppets (8)Goldilocks quartet done
    - garden cuttings to tip? (4 bin bags full)
    - Make more holly biscs as the last ones were a total disaster!4done
    -make up reindeer food

Enough!:T
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • apple_muncher
    Had quite a relaxing start to the day as only had to be in town by 10. The journey was simple and the course was quite interesting and useful. Best of all, it fimished 20 mins early and I caught a train with nanoseconds to spare so got home earlier than I'd anticipated which has made for a more relaxing evening.

Think I've said that Goldilocks + bears are done. Well, so is the cat family now, all embroidered and stuffed and stitched. Th equestion now is: what to do for the 3rd set?

managed another NSD today - yippee! Tomorrow won't be as dd has tap/ballet (fees due) and a party after lunch.

MUST do some paperwork tomorrow. Must, must, MUST!!!
  • apple_muncher
    If making loads of post-its counts as paperwork, then I've done some!

Left dd at party and wandered along to Tes0s. Decided to havw a wander inside and really didn't enjoy it! Did buy a few g-f things for dd that I can't get locally. Still having 1 1/2 hours to use up, i gave in and used the C0sta they have. Bought a 95p packet of crisps and the pesky server didn't give me my 5p change! When I asked for it, he took it out of the tips cup. Cheeky blighter! So I ensured I stayed for a looooooooong time! That's when I did my post-its for the week ahead: commitments and jobs to do were all allocated. Possibly rather randomly... But I do so love being able to cross things off a list.

Think I'll try to do dog finger puppets. Pirates were considered but they'd be so fiddly with all the extras, so have been rejected. Dogs have been sketched out on a post-it and seem do-able. Time will tell.

Since getting home we've watched 2 films, I've made breadsticks and baked potatoes, and have finally done the chocolate coating on the marshmallows. Now I know how much chocolate I need, I can buy the rest of the marshmallows next shopping day, and get it all finished. Dh is very patient with my half-finished projects around the place!

Day 3 of no sugar (other than fruit) and is my skin any better? As I type this, my face is itchy, darned psychosomatic symptoms! But I do feel a sense of achievement at keeping off the sugar, so may try to do another 3 days. I also need to ensure i get out and about, as being indoors a lot when the heating is on won't be doing me any good (other than keeping me warm!)

Thank you sweet daisy for continuing to read and leave your thanks! I do really just witter on, as there's not a lot of number crunching I can do when we only have my small salary coming in. JSA still haven't paid anything and the claim goes back to the start of October. It'll be a nice amount when it does come through, and I'm very grateful that we're doing okay without it. It's more annoying as it's the entitlement jsa that you get because you've paid NI, not the income assessed one. They've messed up the paperwork and the payments. Grrrr.

One more week of work for me then a long break, including a week before dd breaks up. Nice!
  • Well done for rescuing your 5p, Apple Muncher! I'd be equally miffed if someone took such a liberty with my change...!

And well done for making it this far without sugar. I get the same kind of problems so I'm needing to do the same sort of things... it's so flipping hard at this time of year.. temptation flying at me from every angle :(

Loving reading your diary by the way, I love wittering! :) Good luck with the JSA, my experience with them has always been nightmarish too, urgh.
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    Hello Pearla! Thank you for the encouragement! That's another 5p towards my £150 target!

Day 4 off the sugar, tho I'll admit it's been tougher. Having to be gluten-free helps in that I simply cannot eat almost all the 'goodies' that abound all year, and especially now, so that's one choice I don't have to make. And thst makes life much simpler. I've impressed myself today by making and icing about 30 shortbread biscuits this afternoon without any of the mix going into my mouth :j. Now, so long as they last 10 days, that's some teacher presents made.

Another NSD under my belt. Dd, as usual, loved Kidz Klub and had 2 little friends go with her today. They both enjoyed it, so hope they'll go again.

Nibbled another bit off the mortgage - woohoo!:T

DH is off to see the jsa people tomorrow,so fingers crossed for some good news ie payment!

Today I'm grateful for: a warm coat, wrapping paper, bacon, sunshine and cuddles.
  • apple_muncher
    Sitting on the sofa wearing a very smug face. :j DH has had a job offer! Don't yet know the details, but I sure am looking forward to revising my financial goals and aims for 2014:j And his visit to sign on this morning brought forth nowt. It 'should' be in his account by thurs. Ha ha. 10 weeks' worth is not to be sniffed at.

Tomorrow is dd's Christingle, which should be lovely.

NSD again. But have messed up the sugar-free malarky. Harumph. Dh bought me a Thornton's advent calendar today (a nice thought but he knows I'm not eating sugar!!!) and so I had one because it was there. It was sooo sugary and sickly! So I thrn had one of dd's g-f bourbon biscuits, because it was there. Plonker! That was 15 mins ago and my face is all itchy now.

Am grateful for central heating, cheese, the moon, sparkly Christmas decorations and hugs.
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sitting on the sofa wearing a very smug face. :j DH has had a job offer! Don't yet know the details, but I sure am looking forward to revising my financial goals and aims for 2014:j

That's brilliant news, lovely to hear your DH has had a job offer.
  • apple_muncher
    edited 16 December 2013 at 1:58PM
    The three (yes 3!) trees are in at last. Tree #1 is dd's little 2' plastic one that she puts in a corner and her little presents go by it. Tree #2 has been in a pot in the front garden for a year, lovingly tended by dd and restored to half of its former growth. It is now at the front of the lounge with 3 decorations on it so far. Tree#3 is a sad and sorry spectacle with only a few green bits on the ends of a few twigs. It is the tree from 2 years ago and isn't v happy at all! However, dd wants it in for Christmas and is also decorating it.

Christmas should be a quiet affair, just the 3 of us. But we like it that way!

Preparation-wise, I thought I should do a list of what there is still to do:
    - knit 2 more dogs, wrap and send to Spain (prob got until 6th Jan really for this, when the kings arrive) DONE 1, DONE BOTH
    - print out 12 more reindeer poems and make food for them with dd, stick bags on and address the envelopes PRINTED 12, MADE FOOD WITH DD, FILLED BAGS, DID ENVELOPES - ALL SENT
    - do jam labels and divvy them up for people
    -buy marshmallows and do choc covered mallows x3 DONE
    - present to niece DONE AND READY TO SEND - SENT
    - make a bu1ldabear bed out of foam in the loft + fabric
    - re-size wordart to fit frame for mum DONE
    - spray fake snow on windows with dd DONE
    - make a small hamper for dh DONE
    -make a full stocking for dd
    -make peppermint creams DONE
    -make white fudge

Also:
    - take at least 1 bag to Salvation Army, preferably 2 DONE 2
    - clear back garden, bag it up and take to tip
    - do the same for the front garden
    - clean car and sort out that scratch
    - make draught excluder

Simples!
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    :wave:
    Hi AppleMuncher ~ I've seen you around on the DDD thread & thought I'd say hello here and especially say that's fantastic news about OH's job offer. You'll be well set to blitz that mortgage throughout 2014 now!
    Will be following along to see how you do as our challenges seem very similar, but in the meantime I do hope you get to celebrate your great news!
    All the best!
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • apple_muncher
    Habibiboo wrote: »
    :wave:
    Hi AppleMuncher ~ I've seen you around on the DDD thread & thought I'd say hello here and especially say that's fantastic news about OH's job offer. You'll be well set to blitz that mortgage throughout 2014 now!
    Will be following along to see how you do as our challenges seem very similar, but in the meantime I do hope you get to celebrate your great news!
    All the best!

Thank you Habiboo! Love the name by the way -how did you choose it? Thank you or dropping in to join my wittering.

Dh is going to reply re job offer today and may start just before the end of the month. He doesn't seem as excite or effusive as I would have been, so I just do my jumping around inside!:j:j

Am looking forward to new goals. We'll need to discuss them, as he will want me to be less strict than recently! No chance! :rotfl: However, the basic mortgage payment comes from his income and the food, stuff and savings come from mine. So we can hopefully up repayments back to their former amount and I can add my little bits to that, plus build up the savings.

I may be earning extra for 2 terms ie 8 months, so once that is confirmed, I can play around with where to put it. I'm not a spreadsheety person, as I've never understood them. I'm more of a notebook and lists/ideas in bubbles soul.

It's lovely to have more money coming in, my one concern is that I'll have much less time with dd for a few months. She'll have to wake up 1 hour earlier, which will take its toll! At least i'll still have the holidays and weekends. And it is only for a while. Try telling that to a 5 year old!

Today is Christingle day. Do school run, leg it home for a workout + shower, then back to sch for 9.40... Easy!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback