PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Comments

• PIGSMAYFLY wrote: »
    Its series 2. I'm going to catch it on plus1 as I could miss the corrie wedding fallout lol. How sad am I?

lol, we had to make sure it was taping before we watched superscrimpers...cracking corrie wedding!:T
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    Next thing you'll be suggesting Eliza is that we mix sugar and water in a spray bottle to lacquer our hair in place!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Goodness gracious no!! I'm talking about the 1960s, not the 1860s!! Very modern times - and anyway I preferred the natural look of long loose locks, straightened with an iron - why would anyone need GHDs?.
  • littlesue
    littlesue Posts: 208 Forumite
    Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum so i hope you don't mind me joining in.

I watched superscrimpers last night too and felt inspired by it. After watching what she made out of what she had in the cupbooards i decided to try the same. I made a lovely saugage cassrerole that cost next to nothing to cook. I have three very pickie children but i was surprised when they cleared there plates and asked for more. Feel quite proud, will have to do it more often.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to gt ion the old style boards, i'm still trying to find my way around here, thanks.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As one granny to another.

I even remember using boot polish for mascara!!

And red smarties for lip stick. Although I was about 9 at the time.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Eliza_2
    edited 24 January 2012 at 9:11PM
    I'm thinking though, that the programme really only preached to the converted - like us lot!

Was talking with someone today about it, they had seen that it was on but not interested enough to bother recording or watching it. This someone throws out huge mountains of food, uses masses of ready prepared meals and is always broke/ in debt. I think the image of Mrs M fronting it made it seem a bit cranky and oddball and therefore irrelevant to them. Should have maybe been presented by someone a bit more mainstream. Mrs M was actually only a small part of the programme but had been billed as the expert presenter and had possibly put people off.

Head swimming a bit - I wonder if the day will ever come when I can afford wine that costs more than £3 a bottle - now that would be worth scrimping for. And yes, I have made home made, back in the days when it overflowed all over the contents of the airing cupboard and my babies had blackberry coloured nappies for years. (And I now have blackberry coloured window and floor cloths - you can't do that with disposables!!!)

Liz
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Trust me - they only try it once, it tastes so horrible they soon learn. Every kid at playgroup has eaten some at one point - but never twice.

My DS1 watched this with me last night - he is only eleven but even he was :eek: at the £16 Sunday Dinner. In fact we are not a kick off that for a weekly shop at the mo (decent freezer full and fantastic stock cupboard - its not that I'm not feeding the kids)

As for the cushion covers - you got to start somewhere. If you can learn to sew a straight line you can learn to sew anything - once you get the nerve to dive on in.

MG

I made 3 cushions today from old baby fleeces, and my DGD 2.5 loves them and calls them tumfy tushions:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:She can't say her ts lol:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The woman who was showing the girls how to make cushions covers made hers with the flap on the front of the cushion, think pillow slip here, the flap should have been on the inside. My opinion, for what it's worth is that she's not very good.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eliza wrote: »
    I'm thinking though, that the programme really only preached to the converted - like us lot!

Was talking with someone today about it, they had seen that it was on but not interested enough to bother recording or watching it. This someone throws out huge mountains of food, uses masses of ready prepared meals and is always broke/ in debt. I think the image of Mrs M fronting it made it seem a bit cranky and oddball and therefore irrelevant to them. Should have maybe been presented by someone a bit more mainstream. Mrs M was actually only a small part of the programme but had been billed as the expert presenter and had possibly put people off.

Head swimming a bit - I wonder if the day will ever come when I can afford wine that costs more than £3 a bottle - now that would be worth scrimping for. And yes, I have made home made, back in the days when it overflowed all over the contents of the airing cupboard and my babies had blackberry coloured nappies for years. (And I now have blackberry coloured window and floor cloths - you can't do that with disposables!!!)

Liz
    We have lots of booze in the garage - Mr F used to drink before he met me. I had a really bad experience with an alcoholic - so I am a non drinker. Mr F joined me. What do we do with the bottles of booze?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • Eliza_2
    Florenceem wrote: »
    We have lots of booze in the garage - Mr F used to drink before he met me. I had a really bad experience with an alcoholic - so I am a non drinker. Mr F joined me. What do we do with the bottles of booze?

Staffordhsire Moorlands bearutifuuul at zis time of year - fannncy coming up this wayyyyyyyy? hic. I looove you - I do.
  • Catmom
    Catmom Posts: 109 Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    And red smarties for lip stick. Although I was about 9 at the time.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I'd actually forgotten that I used to do this till you mentioned it :D:D:D:D
    Don't put it DOWN, put it AWAY! ;)
    You can't expect to Fly if you're still wearing your pyjamas! :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family