easyJet compensation - tip

Comments

• waster_2
    waster_2 Posts: 498 Forumite
    .........................Paying a planeload of passengers £300 to change their £100 tickets is, on the other hand, unsustainable.

Surely the point is that they only pay the planeload of passengers should THEY be responsible for the alteration? If they do not maintain their aircraft properley, carry an adequate stock of spare parts, do not have sufficient crew, are generally incompetent, etc., then why should the planeload of passengers suffer the consequences and costs involved?

EasyJet and Ryan Air make a shed load of profit at the expense of these planeloads' of passenger's. Up until the EU ruling they rode roughshod over everyone (Ryan Air in particular) and anyone that suited THEM. They acted like bullyboys and to some extent still do due to the majority's ignorance of what they are entitled to.

All that passengers want is what they were promised and what they paid for. They want to go on holiday, to be on time for business meetings/appointments, get to weddings and funerals when they take place, etc.,. Basically nothing more or less than the advertised product.

Whilst there will be situations where the delay or cancellation is outside the control of the airline we are not surely taliking about that, are we. In that circumstance the EU compensation is not generally applicable. However, where people lose day(s) or all of their holiday, are late or have to cancel appointments and meetings due to the poor organiation and/or management of the airline then why should the customer be expected to pay for any extra costs they incur? All the compensation does is attempt to offer some comfort to these passengers. And, after all, EasyJet knew the consequences when they, presumably, took the conscious management decision not to hire sufficient crew and thereby be in a situation where invariably they would have to cancel flights. And, whatsmore, the compenstaion they will actually pay (how many will claim it? 5% or less?) is probably less than the cost of operating that flight and the additional ground staff costs and therefore will possibly actually be a way of reducing rather than increasing their costs!

We all like the option of low cost but not at low standard and p*ss taking by certain airlines.
  • 'I recently got a flight for two people on easyJet. On Saturday they cancelled my flight for "operational reasons" (I take this to mean that it was probably under-booked).

Whilst they offered me a free amendment to my flight or a full refund, I wanted something more. I checked the T&C and noticed something about the customer "may" being entitled to upto 250 Euro if: -

(a) The cancellation happens within two weeks of the flight - this was 11 days before the flight, and
    (b) The only alternative flights are > 4 hours different from the original (in our case, 12 hours apart).'

This also happened to me - the cancellation was within 2 weeks of the flight and there was no alternative until the next day. However, I can't find any reference in the T&Cs to financial compensation. Am I missing something or have easyJet got onto it and removed that part?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw wrote:

Thanks! I think that's more in easyJet's favour than mine as it says 'at least two weeks notice' - they notified me on Saturday 22/7 that a flight on Saturday 5/8 was cancelled.

At least I'll be more informed if it ever happens again.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What time on Sat 22/7 did they inform you? What time is your flight on Sat 5/8? Is it 14 days or more or 13 days and some hours notice that you have been given?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • I used easyjet last year for my honeymoon to Spain. They lost my bag with all my nice honeymoon clothes in for three days of a 7 day holiday.They said I could spend up to £25 a day on replacements but afterwards told me the first 24hrs don't count. After numerous times of loosing my letters and receipts 3 months later I got my compensation but because they'd lost my receipts I sent a copies which were very feint and actually got £25 more out of them!
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    You should be able to get the EasyJet number through the https://www.saynoto0870.com search for easyjet using the company name. Under other information click on the Forum link... http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1104504432

Wouldn`t it be easier to just say the number.
    I`ve already looked at that forum and there are a lot of if,buts and maybes,with various numbers halfway round europe.

The OP has used a certain number with success within the last week so maybe he would care to share it.
  • eyesy wrote:
    even then they first said that I wasn't eligible for it.
    I'm curious about when companies try to weasel out of things, so in the interests of being prepared can I ask on what grounds they said you were not eligable? (Since your description of the circumstances make it clear you are eligable).
  • waster wrote:
    All that passengers want is what they were promised and what they paid for. They want to go on holiday, to be on time for business meetings/appointments, get to weddings and funerals when they take place, etc.
    Do you think passengers who bought tickets for 1p+Tax have paid for the product they're buying? Of course not. In order to sell at this price the airline has to pack in lots of flights at very little cost. The slightest hiccup sends the whole operation into chaos. Personally, I'd never rely on a low cost airline to get me to a business meeting/wedding/funeral simply because everything is planned on a tightrope. Going on holiday, however, is another matter entirely where a couple of hours sat in an airport lounge is no great disaster given the price I've paid for my tickets.

My point, however, is that the surge of low cost carriers is undoutebdly fantastic news for us, the consumers. It would be crying shame to lose them simply because some EU court has decreed that all passengers deserve the same service/protection/compensation, irrespective of how much they've actually paid.

Of course £300 in the pocket is a result for the OP, but the rest of us may not be so lucky in future.
  • Thanks for this post - recently returned from a group trip to Barcelona (over 40 people) with flights booked with Easyjet. 4 days before we were meant to return the group leader received an email from Easyjet - (in German!) advising us that our return flight had been cancelled. The next day we recieved a call from Easyjet confirming this, and informing us that we could have flights 3 days later than initially planned, but we couldn't be placed on return flights any earlier. So we ended up with 3 extra days in Barcelona courtesy of Easyjet!! Looks like Easyjet will refund us our accommodation costs and cost of meals for the extra time we were there. We've also been informed we should get the 250 Euro compensation for lack of advance notice. Will let you know if/when this is received! For a holiday wouldn't mind flying Easyjet again - though might be a bit more cautious about making commitments within a few days after the supposed return date of the flight!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure