My Excel mortgage spreadsheet

Locoblade
Locoblade Posts: 795
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 7 May 2010 at 8:29PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi All

Over the past couple of weeks Ive given a few people on here some figures to compare mortgages with including the capital left after certain timeframes and the savings of offsetting certain sums. This was done using a heavily modified version of the Microsoft Amortization Schedule spreadsheet that Ive re-written to allow several things that most of the existing online/spreadsheet calculators didn't seem to be able to do, such as:
  • Interest only / capital repayment mortgages with option to part pay
  • Offset mortgages, including average offset current account balance
  • Calculation when offset pot could pay off the mortgage remainder.
  • Monthly and one off overpayments / offset payments
  • Change of rates after introductory period expires
  • Ad-hoc rate changes for variable/tracker mortgages]
  • Additional borrowing at any time
  • A few pretty graphs :)
  • Edit: v1.02 allows you to compare two different mortgage products to see which is cheapest for you.
  • Edit: v1.03 adds in early redemption charges and exit fees.
  • Edit: v1.04 Comparison for savings account/ISA against offset/overpayments on Mortgage 1
    Comparison of two mortgages with differing fees added to loan, showing break even month
    Seperate fees added to loan box.
  • Edit: v1.05 Break even month now takes into consideration the upfront fees and also completion fee to give a more accurate figure.
  • Edit: v1.06 Fixes the additional borrowing feature, it now works!
  • Edit: v1.07 Fixes the total cost / total capital remaining calculation in the Comparison sheet.
  • Edit: v1.08 Fixes Cumulative Interest calculation that was previously miscalculating the first year. Also uploaded a modified version for Mac and older Excel.
  • Edit: v1.09 Fixes the same bug as 1.8 tried unsuccessfully to fix in certain circumstances, hopefully second time lucky! I've also started naming the files without the version number so that for future releases, those following direct links to my web space (rather than clicking the links here) will also get the latest version by default. Ive also added an entirely optional donate button as a few appreciative users asked/suggested this, any donations will go towards my web hosting which I've recently had to expand to accomodate the average 800-1000 downloads per month!
  • Edit: v1.10 Changed the formatting to allow end users to change column widths and hide columns if required.
I have where possible compared the spreadsheet against other online calculators so I hope its all correct. Please only download the Mac version if the main one in the first link doesn't work with your version of Excel.

Both downloads can be accessed here:

http://spreadsheet.locostfireblade.co.uk

I've put the links on a simple web page now as I intend on eventually expanding it to include stuff like an FAQ to answer some of the more common questions that get asked on here and via e-mail.

Any feedback most welcome :)
My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173

Comments

• lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    cant look at as it jammed my laptop up
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • :cool:

My old desktop downloaded it just fine.

Good work.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • lapat wrote: »
    cant look at as it jammed my laptop up

Not sure why that would be, do you have Excel installed, and did you right click - save as rather than try and open the link in IE?
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Thanks a lot i won't have a mortgage for a year at least but this looks amazing :)
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Very good. Another one for my collection :)
  • lapat
    ill try again
    i had sky anytime playing at the same time that may have caused the problem
  • sujman
    sujman Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thanks for this.

I have been pondering about whether offset mortgages are worth it and this may help me to double check calculations given by other websites.
  • lapat
    sorted thanks for that
  • Locoblade wrote: »
    Hi All

Over the past couple of weeks Ive given a few people on here some figures to compare mortgages with including the capital left after certain timeframes and the savings of offsetting certain sums. This was done using a heavily modified version of the Microsoft Amortization Schedule spreadsheet that Ive re-written to allow several things that most of the existing online/spreadsheet calculators didn't seem to be able to do, such as:
    • Interest only / capital repayment mortgages with option to part pay
    • Offset mortgages, including average offset current account balance
    • Calculation when offset pot could pay off the mortgage remainder.
    • Monthly and one off overpayments / offset payments
    • Change of rates after introductory period expires
    • Ad-hoc rate changes for variable/tracker mortgages]
    • Additional borrowing at any time
    • A few pretty graphs :)
    Ive finally (I think!) got it to a "finished" condition so I thought I'd post a link to it on here so that other people can use it too. It would also be good to get some others to test it to see if there are any scenarios where it gives false information, although I have where possible compared it against other online calculators so I hope its all correct.

Here's the link to download it: http://www.locostfireblade.co.uk/Downloads/Mortgage%20Schedule%20Calculator.xls

It was written in Excel 2007 but has been saved so it's compatible with earlier versions, and there's no macros in it.

Any feedback most welcome :)

There seems to be an issue with the Detailed Monthly Table sheet. I tried to add a payment in the row 10 rows down and it would not let me saying the cell was locked?

Good spreadsheet though!
    --
    Peter Stones
  • pstones578 wrote: »
    There seems to be an issue with the Detailed Monthly Table sheet. I tried to add a payment in the row 10 rows down and it would not let me saying the cell was locked?

Good spreadsheet though!

Cheers, dont know how that happened, I checked all the top cells but that one got through the net

Give me 5 mins and I'll upload a new one....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback