Hose Pipe Horror! Help

13»

Comments

• DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    gatita wrote: »
    I went away for 3 months to stay with my daughter, our trusty neighbor looked after (watered) our plants & bushes etc.) When we got back at the end of July I did a water reading as I always do, I couldn't believe my eyes! it said I had used 40 units in the 3 months we were away!!! Our neighbour had told us he thought he had left the tap running on the hose pipe due to a kink in the pipe, but only for a short while.

I received the bill yesterday and burst into tears..... the bill was £258. That is an awful lot of money for a pensioner on a basic pension.
    I did phone SouthWest Water (the most expensive in the country) and explained the situation. They couldn't help. The thing is okay, hands up, the water was registered, and I have to pay, but couldn't they waive the sewerage charges, they amounted to £160 of the bill, after all there was no one in the property at all so no water went into the sewers.

Can anyone suggest anything I could do? as I say this is going to be tremendously hard for me to pay, even though they said I could spread the payments.

What would you have done if it was something serious.....spontaneous combustion?!?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    maas wrote: »
    I thought macman must have edited out some nasty comments or something (his post was edited) to have upset the OP so much.

I made a minor edit, but that was before I'd even seen the OP's response.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport