PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing waterproof coats

Does anyone know the best way to wash waterproof coats so they don't lose their waterproofyness?
I really don't fancy paying £4 for the special wash you can buy in millets but my coat is starting to whiff!

Comments

• Gforce_2
    Gforce_2 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Thanks for the links, I must be rubbish at searching cos I didn't see any of these!
  • KittyBoo_2
    KittyBoo_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    I have recently bought a Regatta waterproof, breathable jacket and it's getting ready for a wash.
    On the label it says to use their special washing liquid and not to use normal detergent.
    The stuff rom our local outdoor shop is really expensive and as I am looking for ways of not spending any more money I don't want to have to buy this unless absolutely necessary.
    However I don't want to ruin the jacket either.
    Will I ruin the absorbency of the coat if I use ny normal wash powder?
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • I have a ski jacket, Helly Hansen, which has complicated instructions for washing as well. I put on a 30degree short wash, on it's own, with my normal powder (Ecover) and spin as normal, then I place it on a clothes hanger and hang on the line to air dry. Never had a problem with mine.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Make sure you don't use too much powder.....voice of experience.....I turned into Mrs Snow once having washed my waterproofs that I wear for golf, and then getting caught in the rain. Everywhere you touched the things, bubbles appeared....it looked very fetching between my legs. :o

If it can be tumble dried, then this usually helps to re-activate the waterproofing.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • A girl I work with went on a outdoor clothing course and was told if you need to wash a waterproof jacket do not put any detergent in the washing machine
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    My husband used to work for a outdoor clothing store selling such jackets.
    He always told me to use soap flakes rather than the expensive treatments which are just a ploy to make you spend more, we have washed all our waterproofs like this for ages and never had a problem, about once a year we buy the reproofer spray and a bottle can reproof about 4 adult size jackets.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Ordinary soap powder wouldn't do your jacket's waterproofing much good at all. You could perhaps 'spot-clean' if it isn't too dirty. Sometimes 'dry-brushing' the jacket with a nail brush helps to get off some of the usual muck associated with outdoor activities - my OH has come back covered in all kinds of mud/cowpats etc from his hillwalking/rambling and this often works but you need to make sure that the jacket is dry before you have a go or it will just get smeared even worse - remove the bulk of any 'gungey stuff' first using kitchen roll if necessary.

There was a thing on the freebie board for some free Nikwax treatment a while back - may be worthwhile having a look to see if it's still there. Or check out the Nikwax website to see if they do samples from there.

I've just had a look and at the moment they appear to be giving away shoe/boot treatments for answering a few questions.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/webquiz/index.php

Always worth keeping an eye on that site to see what they'll offer next!
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dlb wrote: »
    My husband used to work for a outdoor clothing store selling such jackets.
    He always told me to use soap flakes rather than the expensive treatments which are just a ploy to make you spend more, we have washed all our waterproofs like this for ages and never had a problem, about once a year we buy the reproofer spray and a bottle can reproof about 4 adult size jackets.

I second this. I always wash waterproofs and delicates by hand using Lux Soap Flakes or generic brand soap flakes, rinse well by hand and then a short spin . Put the waterproof outside to blow dry on the line on a coat hanger and you will not need to re proof !

shammy
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Ive been ding the nikwax quizes for about 3 years and they always send you some product when you answer all 10 questions correctly(as many goes as you want till you get them right and clues for every question). Each 3months you can do it again. You cant choose what they send you but if you do a lot of outdoor activity its worth doing to have some in hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure