PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Out of date nuts?

2»

Comments

• ooh, me too, good point. I'm sure a pesto-type thing for post-christmas light meals would go down well too - I'll leave myself a note!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    just make sure you shell one or two of each type of nut.
    I had a bag of mixed nuts left over from christmas a couple of years back and around november decided to make some fat balls for the birds and thought i would use the nuts (shelled). the hazelnuts and almonds were fine - the walnuts were definitately 'off' most of them were blackened and shriveled. the brazil nuts although they looked ok when i started chopping them they all seemed to have a yucky brownish middle.
    before that I wondered why there were recipes for pickled walnuts in my old recipe book - they obviously dont keep for too long!
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    If you don`t want to eat the nuts, you could maybe make candle holders out of them.

Stick them together - I`d use a hot glue gun- leaving a hole in the centre for a candle to sit snuggly in. Decorate with anything you like - Christmassy stuff, artificial poinsettias etc for table decorations.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Paulie'sGirl Posts: 923 Forumite
    Hi all,

Just for future note, Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals reckons you should store them in the freezer to prolong their shelf life. I now do this with all my nuts.

PGxx
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2010 at 9:47PM
    Oddly enough, I'm still eating my way through a big basket of hazel nuts that I picked last autumn. No ill effects yet.

Edit: Just tried a walnut, also picked last autumn, and it tasted fine as do the bought last year almonds.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Just for future note, Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals reckons you should store them in the freezer to prolong their shelf life. I now do this with all my nuts.

PGxx

It's also how you can get the shell off a brazil nut without crushing the nut. Thaw first, of course.
  • Agapanthus
    Agapanthus Posts: 263 Forumite
    meritaten wrote: »
    before that I wondered why there were recipes for pickled walnuts in my old recipe book - they obviously dont keep for too long!
    We get a lot of walnuts from friends - no best before date on those. In our experience they keep a couple of years and when they're off they really let you know - they taste vile!

Pickeld walnuts are made from unripe nuts - green walnuts picked in June, rather than October/November when they're ripe. The French make a liqueur from green walnuts, which is very nice. Mind you, the French seem to be able to make a liqueur from almost anything!:)
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • Oh wow, I'm so glad I asked now - I feel educated about nuts in general! Thanks so much everyone.:beer:

The muesli, by the way, seems to be going down a treat, with no ill effects. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure