Are United Utilities (North West) the most expensive

Hi All,

I feel United Utilities in the North West, the most expensive ware company in Uk.

It is a pity we can not pick our water and waste provider, as we can with our energy.

JC

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    United Utilities are a long way from being the most expensive. South West Water customers pay not far short of double what you pay.

You can check every company's charges on-line.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,021
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Looking over my water bill (metered), mine has gone up by £108 a year!!

Thieves.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Water is a sought after commodity, as time goes on it will become even more expensive. We also enjoy soft water here in the North West and don't United Utilities know it.

I've always found their customer service spot on so I can't complain.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Spies wrote: »
    Looking over my water bill (metered), mine has gone up by £108 a year!!

Thieves.

Why 'thieves'?

You don't say what company you are with, but generally water bills have stayed pretty static this year.

Have you used more water? or got a leak?

Another possible reason is estimated meter readings on previous bill.
  • Jaffa_cake wrote: »
    Hi All,
    It is a pity we can not pick our water and waste provider, as we can with our energy.
    JC

This may soon happen in a similar way to the energy sector (as George Osbourne announced that the opening of the household water retail market would start before the end of the Parliament and Ofwat are currently preparing a report on the benefits or not; however there may now be more pressing matters for Government to attend to mind you).

Even so, the main component of your prices would still vary wildly by region based upon the underlying cost of the water treatment (at both ends of the process) - which your retailer would still be paying to the water company concerned. The fundamental reason for the variability in prices is the system set up upon privatisation, whereby it is just more expensive for certain companies to provide water and treat the outputs than for others (e.g. based upon length of coastline, number of small or large works linked to population density etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure