End Of Orange Contract

Comments

• ORANGE SCAM FOR CONTRACT ENDING CUSTOMERS - There are a number of problems I have faced with Orange but here I want to make people aware of how they are being potentially scammed by this company.

They keep your money when you end your contract - I have recently ended my contract with Orange and came across this cleverly designed money making scheme. They ask for 1 months notice to end the contract (which is understandable to some extent) but they will not let you put in the notice unless you call exactly on the day which is 1 month before your contract expiry date (you'll see the reason as you read on - it is quite clever). If the customer ends up even one day later than the exact date then they end up in the next months (after contract end) billing cycle and apparently Orange cannot help it!!. This basically means that your contract services will end a day or more (depending on when you give the notice) later than your contract expiry date but you will still have to be charged for the whole month (after your contract and services have ended). The balance after using your deducting your extra days past contract expiry is then "supposed" to be refunded a month after your contract end. On calling Orange and investigating further it did slip out from a customer service agents tongue that you will be refunded the amount "if you give us a call to do so" !!!
    Now there are two ways you will lose (or automatically donate to Orange) one months worth of money:
    1. You know what is happening but still forget to call them.
    2. You don't notice this because the billing cycle is very clever. Orange bill you one month in advance for your contract usage. So what you see in your monthly bill at the end of the month is actually not what you have used last month but the contract price for the next month (plus extras used last month). Over the contract period they get you used to thinking that your bill is for what you used last month whereas it is for the coming month. At the end of your contract they give you a bill which you think is ok because it must be for what you used and it matches your regular use, so all looks fine and you don't query anything - BUT NO - the amount is for one month after you stop getting your services after contract end and you won't get it back if you don't chase them.
    If you say this to Orange they will say - oh no the customer does get automatically credited - but beware I am waiting for a £50 "automatic" credit on an upfront payment for a phone I had returned and after numerous calls and about two months I am still waiting to see my money.
    So get active , read the details in your bill and don't let them scam you.
  • oh great my contract with orange ends in june and i cant wait for it to end. But if thats what it takes to cancel your contract am not gunna b very happy and thanx rarvind for that info.

p.s do you have to give you phone back after your contact is up?
  • You just need to give them 30 days notice, or get your PAC code - you can get your PAC code 30 days before the contract end, if you use it in between getting it and the contract end date you won't get a refund on the rest of the line rental for that month but it's probably the easiest way.

You don't need to return the phone.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2011 at 5:03AM
    brown1989 wrote: »
    oh great my contract with orange ends in june and i cant wait for it to end. But if thats what it takes to cancel your contract am not gunna b very happy and thanx rarvind for that info.

p.s do you have to give you phone back after your contact is up?
    Ignore first time posters that are either angry customers or work for other networks.

That aside, phone Orange 1 month before your contract expires and tell them that you wish to terminate the contract. You'll likely get put through to another department (retentions) as they don't want to lose customers and you will be offered alsorts, just say NO!

Ultimately, you will always get a better deal even with the same network by going to places like CPW (or one of its many online variants). There are many other shops too, I'm not advocating that CPW is the best place to go but do some web shopping and find the right deal for you. Invariably you will beat anything that the retention department of any network can offer you.

And finally no, the phone is yours to keep. When you sign a contract you are signing up for the airtime / text messages / internet limits, the phone is yours from day 1 to keep / sell / do as you wish with. :)

EDIT: And !!!!!! is it with numpties posting first time ever dredging posts up that are +2 years older or more. :(
  • I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on a problem I only found out about today. I had an Orange mobile a few years ago, rang to cancel the contract giving a months notice etc, they then started sending me monthly bills still trying to charge me. I ignored the letters as I had ended my contract and didn't owe them anything, but now today after receiving my Credit report I have a defaulted payment with them for £266. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be great thanx
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ignoring bills is never a smart plan, even if you think you don't owe them.

Did you get any proof from Orange that your contract was cancelled?
  • Parva
    rees1970 wrote: »
    I ignored the letters as I had ended my contract and didn't owe them anything, but now today after receiving my Credit report I have a defaulted payment with them for £266.
    Exactly as Rusty said, ignoring bills regardless of whether you feel you do or don't owe them will only end in tears and I would be amazed if anyone with half a brain didn't realise that.
  • Yes ok points well made. What I meant by ignoring the letters was not paying them. I did ring them twice and they told me that the contract was cancelled but they never did send me any proof.
  • Parva
    rees1970 wrote: »
    Yes ok points well made. What I meant by ignoring the letters was not paying them. I did ring them twice and they told me that the contract was cancelled but they never did send me any proof.
    That's what's known as up the creek without a paddle I'm afraid. :o
  • Hi rees1970

Have you contacted Orange since finding out about the above debt? If not, then I'd advise to call asap to query this matter. Our Customer Service Helpdesk can be reached by calling either 150 from a Pay Monthy Orange phone or 07973 100150 from a fixed line.

Alternatively, you can contact us by Facebook or Twitter and I would be happy to look into this for you.

I hope this helps.

Darren from Orange Helpers
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/orangehelpers
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrangeUK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Orange. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure