Paying over cms calculations. Any repercussions?

Options
Louk
Louk Posts: 141 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
After nearly 6 months my ex finally responded to the CMS and they have now sent through their calculations etc.

Ex only has a cash account and cannot create a standing order or DD from it so is paying direct into my account every Friday. Far from ideal.

He is also rounding up the calculation to the nearest pound. Would there be any repercussions of him doing this? For example if he stopped paying and I requested collect and pay would they look at the extra he's paid?

I don't want it to seem we have come to a private arrangement.

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, the CSA assessment is the minimum that he should pay, so he can't turn around in 12 months time and say that he's been overpaying so he'll now decrease his payments. If he pays £100 one month, and £50 the next but the calculation was for £75, he still owes you £25 (I may be wrong, I'm hoping someone will correct me if I am).
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Louk wrote: »
    After nearly 6 months my ex finally responded to the CMS and they have now sent through their calculations etc.

Ex only has a cash account and cannot create a standing order or DD from it so is paying direct into my account every Friday. Far from ideal.

He is also rounding up the calculation to the nearest pound. Would there be any repercussions of him doing this? For example if he stopped paying and I requested collect and pay would they look at the extra he's paid?

I don't want it to seem we have come to a private arrangement.

Payments are usally ounded to the nearest £1 , so if it the assesment was £28.40 then £28 would be assessed, if it were £28.60 then £29.
    I would imagine that as he is paying cash, he doesn't want the small change.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Direct pay to you is the usual way of doing things these days. In fact if you want them to collect the money and pass it on to you they will charge fees.

The assessment cannot be overridden by evidence of a private agreement.

The main potential repercussion is for your ex if they can't evidence the payments and you decide to claim that they haven't paid you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure