[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

1195196197198199201»

Comments

• KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Anymore feedback on my original post (#1985) especially regarding that particular hotel and best time to book hotel and flights?

Well, I know that Marky's expert advice advocates the three month rule but I am going to go against that in this instance for two reasons - one is that I think you have a great price there for PE and two because the M&M fares can sell out.

I am by no means an expert but just my opinion, FWIW.

I can't help with the hotel question as I don't know it (or that area) hugely well, sorry!

What a fab place to spend your 30th :T
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Everyone!

Just got back and wanted to say thanks to Marky, PhatBear and the other experts on here for helping to make my trip amazing!!!

Subway was great and soooo easy to use, but its looking a bit scruff down there at the moment - especially on UES for some reason...but at $25 for a weeks travel fantastic!

Did the usual very touristy things - but I also went to a few interesting places I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned so thought I'd list them:
    1. North Square restaurant - very very nice and not that expensive, small place on waverley place by washington square park
    2. Visited the public library and had a look at their photograph exhibition on Afghanistan which was amazing, the building is pretty wow too as is Bryant park next door - great place in the summer, but they have an ice rink in there at the moment so I reckon that could be a good alternative to Rock centre/central park wollman rink
    3. Lost half a day in the Strand book store just off broadway - but please make sure you have room in your case if you go - you will totally end up buying something!
    4. Ran round central park in the snow - you can get running maps that make it really easy as the have different distance loops marked out on them - it was a great way to get an idea of how huge the park is by going beyond the eastern corner!
    5. Was laughably bad at darts in a sports bar in UES- hey who knew Americans love darts?? They play a game called 'cricket' anyway - lots of fun after a few beers!

I think thats about it...for inside tips, I was quite partial to Panorama restaurant in UES too, but thats more of a local place rather than fancy dinner type, I lucked out with my meal in Chinatown and chose somewhere not so nice which was a shame, and I also learned to love the smell of burnt hot dogs on street corners...

Now I get back to find BA are doing a flight sale - so I'm hoping to go back soon :D

Happy holidays all - and thanks to Marky again for all the help a few weeks ago before I went :D
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    UES?

Noo.. the LES is much scummier and cheaper!
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    FYI

I've spoken to the Crabman, and we're kinda starting a new thread, because at over 100 pages, this is just HUGE, so.. lets all toddle off to the NEW NEW YORK THREAD..

Cheers!

Marky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family