Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• peterth125
    peterth125 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi I have just had a Vaillant pro 28 boiler fitted and they have put the new gas supply outside.They have also fitted a condensate waste pipe down the wall which looks rather unsightly.
    It comes from the back of the boiler through the wall and then runs diagonally across the gable a length of about 8ft.
    Are all systems fitted with one of these condensate waste pipes and if so are they run inside or outside?
    Thankyou

Peter
  • POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    Hi Peter
    I too have a black waste pipe going down to ground level then along to the drain a good 10ft. Not very pretty. There is also a massive white flue above door level which looks like a periscope!
  • Hi my friend thanks for the reply I agree not very pretty and have been checking theoretically it should be inside into a washing machine or similar drainage point as heavy frost during winter time can affect the boiler operation.
    I checked on line under " fitting condensation drainage to boilers"
    and it was quite an eye opener.

Peter
  • nicke20
    nicke20 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quick question
    I have an old property one third circa 1880 two thirds 1906
    I have double glazed the whole house and am in the process of replacing all the external doors. I need blown loft insulation and have just discovered by accident that the newer part of the house has a large cavity in the walls circa 50mm. having been told that all walls where solid. im a single parent but working very full time (56 hour six day week) so not on any benefits or tax credits etc
    ive just been in touch with an installer recomended by rockwool and he gave me a list of local installers to contact but then told me to hang back till april as he believed that the goal posts about funding are about to be moved again and i may qualify for help with my loft and cavity wall insulation
    anybody any idea what he is talking about??
  • IJazzI
    IJazzI Posts: 9 Forumite
    Just been told by these people that the boiler grants were cut several weeks ago and they're offering people low cost loans instead. Is this accurate? We qualify on the benefits front, (child tax credits), and the household income is ~£14000 before tax etc..

They're already charging us £700 for extra work not covered by the eco deal which includes new gas piping, new flue, removal of old boiler, additional electric and a few other things. Although they are doing a full power flush apparently as well as fitting special valves on the radiators.

We came up as E grade on the energy efficiency assesment, (1975 back boiler..!).

I should add that the assesment was done by them in October 2013 and the agreement to go ahead was given/signed end of January this year. They're booked to actually do the work April 7th.
  • Hi. I applied for a new boiler through Southern Electric, in November. I just received a letter from Carillion saying everything had been approved, total costs would be £1600, and I need to pay a contribution of £500!! The heating engineer said my job was one of the easiest he'd seen and would only take half a day to complete. £1600 seems like a very reasonable quote.
    How is anyone on benefits expected to pay £500? Is it just a con, so it looks like they're doing something, but they're not actually paying any money out??!
    Thanks, Elaine
  • nicke20 wrote: »
    Quick question
    I have an old property one third circa 1880 two thirds 1906
    I have double glazed the whole house and am in the process of replacing all the external doors. I need blown loft insulation and have just discovered by accident that the newer part of the house has a large cavity in the walls circa 50mm. having been told that all walls where solid. im a single parent but working very full time (56 hour six day week) so not on any benefits or tax credits etc
    ive just been in touch with an installer recomended by rockwool and he gave me a list of local installers to contact but then told me to hang back till april as he believed that the goal posts about funding are about to be moved again and i may qualify for help with my loft and cavity wall insulation
    anybody any idea what he is talking about??

Yes, ECO has been reviewed and the proposals will mean that all homes will be eligible for cavity wall insulation if they need it.

The new proposals are to be introduced on the 1st April
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • My parents qualify for a new boiler under this scheme, they went ahead with the company (who on research looked ok) and were told they could have a new combi boiler and fitted with no additional costs.
    The day arrived and indeed a new boiler was fitted. However, a pipe has had to go up a wall which now needs boxed in and decorated, parts were left under floorboards, they fitted a complicated timer box with no explanation or instructions and my parents have been left with water hammer in their radiators.
    To get rid of the water hammer they now need to purchase new thermostats for each radiator and pay a plumber to drain the system and fit the new stats, they have no gas fire as it was disconnected as part of the boiler fit and the company took the parts with them for my parents to have the fire re-installed. They have been without heating/fire for 2 weeks (living in North of UK) now to be told today that they must purchase items and get it sorted out themselves. This is a couple in their late 70's, the stress and lack of warmth has been terrible.
    Also, the copper tank was removed without permission, the workmen leaving all the rubbish in order to remove the valuable tank. These are worth quite a bit of money.
    The list is endless, if a new fire is also needed as well as other things they will need to spend in the region of £1000. My message to others is check everything the company will do and where you stand with any problems the fitting causes.
    I will be taking the costs issue up with the company concerned but looking at the lack of customer service given i doubt a decent fair outcome will happen.
    So please check everything and be careful
  • Jillyw45 wrote: »
    My parents qualify for a new boiler under this scheme, they went ahead with the company (who on research looked ok) and were told they could have a new combi boiler and fitted with no additional costs.
    The day arrived and indeed a new boiler was fitted. However, a pipe has had to go up a wall which now needs boxed in and decorated, parts were left under floorboards, they fitted a complicated timer box with no explanation or instructions and my parents have been left with water hammer in their radiators.
    To get rid of the water hammer they now need to purchase new thermostats for each radiator and pay a plumber to drain the system and fit the new stats, they have no gas fire as it was disconnected as part of the boiler fit and the company took the parts with them for my parents to have the fire re-installed. They have been without heating/fire for 2 weeks (living in North of UK) now to be told today that they must purchase items and get it sorted out themselves. This is a couple in their late 70's, the stress and lack of warmth has been terrible.
    Also, the copper tank was removed without permission, the workmen leaving all the rubbish in order to remove the valuable tank. These are worth quite a bit of money.
    The list is endless, if a new fire is also needed as well as other things they will need to spend in the region of £1000. My message to others is check everything the company will do and where you stand with any problems the fitting causes.
    I will be taking the costs issue up with the company concerned but looking at the lack of customer service given i doubt a decent fair outcome will happen.
    So sorry your parents are having such an awful time, just like I did, but there is still a lot of fight left in me for 81 years. Seriously, according to Citizens advice, they are required according to the Sale of Goods and Services act 1982, to leave things in a serviceable manner. I also wrote to my MP but all this takes time. Eventually, after bombarding the energy company I went through, (SSE) Swale Heating took notice and got things moving. SSE also sent a further inspector round to check things. I gave up on Swale ever coming to repair the damage to the ceiling and when I got up on a ladder to do the painting myself, guess what, Swale had used a broken plate where the pipe goes through the wall.! (I love their TV advert where they say they are a caring family firm. AVOID.
  • Jillyw45 wrote: »
    My parents qualify for a new boiler under this scheme, they went ahead with the company (who on research looked ok) and were told they could have a new combi boiler and fitted with no additional costs.

My gas fire was not reconnected to the new supply pipe by them, nor my cooker. The copper tank is probably £20 worth I think. But I would advise you to email the CEO of whoever paid for it. Which energy firm were paying the supplier for the install?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback