bye gambling and debt!

2»

Comments

• Hey Goku,

Releasing pressure to pay it off quickly is something I have been struggling with. Making sure that the debt is manageable and you have enough to live is the most important factors. As long as the debts are getting cleared and not getting worse, then one day at a time, things will get better. As I am writing this, I am realising that it's probably more advice for myself, but if it helps you and anyone else, then that's great.

Shame the GA meetings are so far away, you could try CA if there's one close to you, it's Cocaine anonymous, however they are more accepting of any addition, substance or behaviour.

I have been suffering with depression too, and would gamble to try and escape the feelings, in reality al this did was make my situation worse and left me feeling more and more depressed. Now I finally understand when people say about spiralling out of control.

I'm nearly 6 months off my last bet now, and the depression is improving considerably. I'm dealing with the issues that have been making me feel depressed, debts are going in the right direction, albeit slower than I had hoped, but any progress is good progress.

I now live life one day at a time, and every day that I do not gamble is a bloody good day and I pat myself on the back. All of these pats on the back are adding up and day by day life is looking brighter.

You only need 2 people to have a meeting, you could contact GA about starting a new meeting local to you, could be very powerful action, and could help others in your local area.

All the best

Chris
    Just for today I will not try to solve all my life problems at once. | DFD: [STRIKE]April 2033[/STRIKE] Aug 2023
    Original Debt: £96K Mar 2016 | Current Debt: £47350
    Aug 2018
  • Hi Goku,

How's it going?
    Just for today I will not try to solve all my life problems at once. | DFD: [STRIKE]April 2033[/STRIKE] Aug 2023
    Aug 2018
  • hi, great thanks!

Have been paying my debt down every week and my mood has improved so much since I quit gambling.

Think I am finally starting to realise I am much happier without it. I never felt like this in the past, when I had stopped for long periods.

Things are definitely improving, I have been so busy with other stuff and that seems to be key to my progress.

hope you are doing well.
  • Hi Goku,

Great to hear you are doing well, stick with it, one day at a time.

Hero
    Aug 2018
  • Hi Goku,

I hope everything is going well. I've just recently started my stopping gambling/getting rid of debt journey so will watch o your journey with interest. :)
  • Goku1000
    Goku1000 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 6:22PM
    not posted for a while! Everything is going well, in a few weeks I will have only 1 debt, which is my personal loan - around £6500 left
  • Great to hear Goku, stick with it.
    Aug 2018
  • Goku1000 wrote: »
    not posted for a while! Everything is going well in few weeks, I will have only 1 debt, which is my personal loan - around £6500 left

Fantastic x
  • Goku1000
    Goku1000 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Advice needed.
    I am down to just one loan payment per month as I have said, but I am unsure if I would be better to start saving now and just wait for the loan payments to finish (around 24 months) or should I pay the loan off as quickly as possible?

I will not save anything on interest by paying the loan off early either and it was a pretty low APR when I took it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure