Online Electric Tariff - can't switch?!

Jenegade
Jenegade Posts: 126
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,

I'm new to moneysavingsexpert, well I've visited lots, but haven't posted really!

We moved house in September and have our electric with Scottish Hydro, for some reason we have two different meters. One is for our heating (storage heaters :( ) and the other is for the rest of the electric. When I asked to switch to a cheaper online tariff with Scottish Hydro electric they said I couldn't, I could only use the standard electric, energyplus or betterplan. None of which are cheap! I was wondering if anyone here knows if I would be able to switch to a different provider (Npower comes up as cheaper on comparison websites) even though we have two meters (one of them does have Scottish Hyrdo's name on it...). It was really expensive for the bill for the last few months, I know it's been cold so it should be more expensive, but it seemed ridiculously expensive to me.

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• lg723
    lg723 Posts: 5 Forumite
    The tariff you will be on with the Hydro for storage heating is called "Total Heating Total Control" and is what is known as a "protected tariff" in that no other energy suppliers will support the metering arrangement.

If you want to switch to another supplier you will probably have to pay to have your meter changed to an economy 7 meter- this means you will loose part of your heating system as THTC provides you with cheaper rate panel heating and hot water "boosts" 24 hours a day and storage heating between 5-12 hours depending on the weather forecast split into around 3 chunks throughout the day (early morning, late afternoon and early evening)

With Economy 7 you will only benefit from 7 continous hours of cheaper electricity during the night meaning that whilst you will be able to run your washing machine and other appliances during the night for cheaper- you may have to use peak rate energy to supplement the storage heaters later in the evening as they will have run out of most of their heat.

Hope this is of some help to you :)
  • Jenegade
    Jenegade Posts: 126
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you Ig723, that's quite useful. I doubt we can change to Economy 7 then as we're renting our house from a private landlord and I don't think they would want us to do that. I wonder though if we can then keep our heating meter with Scottish Hydro, but the other meter for the rest of the electric with a different company?

Thanks again! :)
  • Ed23
    Ed23 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, could you tell me if you are still will the same supplier. I am with Scottish Hydro THTC and looking to change suppliers but have to keep the same heating system. You said in your post that your new supplier was cheaper. Could you tell me roughly how much cheaper per unit and whether you pay a service charge. Also could I contact you for details about the change over to the different company.

Kind Regards
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Ed23 wrote: »
    Hi, could you tell me if you are still will the same supplier. I am with Scottish Hydro THTC and looking to change suppliers but have to keep the same heating system. You said in your post that your new supplier was cheaper. Could you tell me roughly how much cheaper per unit and whether you pay a service charge. Also could I contact you for details about the change over to the different company.

Kind Regards

Every supplier can support THTC metering in terms of registration, it forms part of their licencing. However, the issue is that suppliers who originated from other regions continued to use their 30 year old systems which couldn't cope with a dual MPAN meter as they never had them and never built it into their systems. Some suppliers also decided they don't want the hassle.

So you just need to call around for quotes to find which suppliers will still take them. In reality to a supplier and their billing, there is no difference in any dual MPAN metering. They have no control or interest in the functionality of the meter, the distributor continues to control that. They just have to consider how to balance the price per unit.

In terms of switching from the suppliers end, its simple.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    offpeak wrote: »
    Ed23

been with new supplier for a year now; saved about £370. Been helping out a few elderly neighbours do the same as they find switching hard on their own

Yes do contact me email is james at scotch dot co dot uk

Would it not be best to post help for these posters and future reference?

Giving your email address out and taking it off here may appear that you are a salesman with some experience of HYDE metering.

I agree its hard with regional metering and suppliers don't want to help, which I'm sure is a breach of the discrimination SLC but we can blame Ofgem for this. However, switching with THTC is the same as Heatwise, Warmwise, 3 rate E10, E2000, etc.

I appreciate you may just be helping though, it just could be construed a different way.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure