IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Ukpc parking fines

I moved in to an apartment with my girlfriend recently and the car park for our apartment has numbered bays. Each bay has a permit but parking is apparently restricted to one car per bay and as we have two vehicles we have got 3 £90 parking fines in two days. Many of the apartments are empty so there are a lot of spare spaces and we are causing no harm using one extra bay. Do UKPC ltd have the authority to make me pay all these fines? What do i do?

Comments

• steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I got an invoice today & it has gone in the draw to collect dust
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I moved in to an apartment with my girlfriend recently and the car park for our apartment has numbered bays. Each bay has a permit but parking is apparently restricted to one car per bay and as we have two vehicles we have got 3 £90 parking fines in two days. Many of the apartments are empty so there are a lot of spare spaces and we are causing no harm using one extra bay. Do UKPC ltd have the authority to make me pay all these fines? What do i do?

You just ignore it. Follow the advice on this pepipoo forum thread which is similar to your situation:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=67439

Then come back here and read the sticky threads to watch a Watchdog video about this scam, and to see the letters you will be sent. Ignore them.

This is NOT a fine.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Can they not force me to pay these fines?
  • I'll empty a draw ready for the letters then. Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Read the sticky threads, look at the link to the pepipoo thread, as it has advice I don't have time to type out at work.

Then come back if it's not clear that this is a SCAM and they are NOT fines.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Can they not force me to pay these fines?

With a court order yes they could however for one or two tickets they won't bother. That said, the more tickets you collect the more attention you'll get from them increasing the odds of court action. You need to figure out somewhere else to put the other car ASAP before they become a real pain in the grass.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    These are not fines. UKPC have absolutely no authority at law to levy any type of penalty. What you have is an invitation to settle an alleged breach of contract. All that they could do is to pursue you for their reasonable losses which in what amounts to a free car park come to precisely zero. At £90 a pop it is clear that the amount demanded is a penalty. Ignore them.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Do the signs in the car park make any threats about clamping? If so, you'd better be careful, as there's a whole world of hurt and aggro if one or other of your cars gets clamped or towed (even if it's done illegally).
  • I have been on the phone since i posted this question the 1st time and people have passed the responsibility to others but what I have been told is that a company called bigwood own the car park and have an agreement with UKPC to fine people for not displaying a valid permit and so Bigwood claim that UKPC can and will fine me everytime my vechile is in a bay without a permit and they said I WILL HAVE TO PAY. Shall I still ignore the letters?
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Bigwood will be getting a cut of the Scam money.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure