VLS 80 & Woodford equity income + ...?

I have decided, after much deliberation, to invest in S & S via an ISA (cavendish through fidelity):

VLS 80 Acc: £600 lump sum + £50pcm
Woodford equity income: £50pcm

I know this has been discussed numerous times, but looking to allocate another £50-100 (ideally chunks of £25 each to satellite funds):

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Need to know a bit more about your financial plans (are you investing for a long term? If so how long? Have you got any targets in mind for the future? How do you feel about the variance that will come from equity investing?)

Aside from that I highly recommend the Woodford fund and feel it is an excellent choice for exposure to the UK.
  • Need to know a bit more about your financial plans (are you investing for a long term? If so how long? Have you got any targets in mind for the future? How do you feel about the variance that will come from equity investing?)

Aside from that I highly recommend the Woodford fund and feel it is an excellent choice for exposure to the UK.

As is the MFM Slater growth fund.

I want to invest long-term for at least 5-10 years, have 105k total cash saved including 600 in vls80.
    Was thinking of buying a flat outright for 100k in 2-5 years time, I'm a procrastinator and really don't know if this will happen or the cash will just sit there in current accounts paying interest/cash isa.
    Would be comfortable holding 4-5k in equity Isa and could cope with rises/falls on this amount (is it worth having a dual core of Vls80 and Woodford with 2-3 side funds say 25pcm each on 4-5k investment?)

Slightly reluctant to put more in to equities with talk of looming corrections.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    I want to invest long-term for at least 5-10 years, have 105k total cash saved including 600 in vls80.
    Was thinking of buying a flat outright for 100k in 2-5 years time, I'm a procrastinator and really don't know if this will happen or the cash will just sit there in current accounts paying interest/cash isa.
    Would be comfortable holding 4-5k in equity Isa and could cope with rises/falls on this amount (is it worth having a dual core of Vls80 and Woodford with 2-3 side funds say 25pcm each on 4-5k investment?)

Slightly reluctant to put more in to equities with talk of looming corrections.

There are always predictions of looming corrections, a few of which prove by chance to be correct. That is why investing money in shares for the short term is a bad idea. If a major fall happens you may well make a loss over 5 years as there is insufficient time for the general trend upwards to exceed the size of likely falls in the meantime

With £100K in cash putting £4-£5K in an equity investment over 5 years is a somewhat risky gamble, you will probably gain something on the £4-£5K but there is a reasonable chance you will lose badly. As its only 5% of your total is it really worth bothering anyway?
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Diversifying across markets and asset classes is a sound basic principle so adding a number of side funds to a core is perfectly sensible.

You may want to check how many funds offer a £25 pm minimum purchase as it appears to me from the ones I have been investigating most start at £50 pm.
  • AlanP wrote: »
    Diversifying across markets and asset classes is a sound basic principle so adding a number of side funds to a core is perfectly sensible.

You may want to check how many funds offer a £25 pm minimum purchase as it appears to me from the ones I have been investigating most start at £50 pm.

I thought Cavendish allowed you to split your amounts in to each fund, i.e 2 x £25 per month? anyone with experience of this?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought Cavendish allowed you to split your amounts in to each fund, i.e 2 x £25 per month? anyone with experience of this?

Yes they do.

I'd echo the comments from Linton as to whether it's worth it for 5 years with such a small proportion unless you are doing this to test the water for committing a bigger sum later on.

Is the flat purchase to live in or to rent out? If it's an investment then it's a lot more risky and inflexible than using funds as you can't sell part of a house if you need money.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    Yes they do.

Good news and apologies to the OP if I was incorrect in what I said.

I was basing my comment on the replies I received to Minimum Monthly Investment question on the ISA & Tax Free Savings board on 16 December which may have been skewed by the example I gave (Minimum on Info Sheet £25 - can I invest £20 - Answer NO, can't go below minimum).

Perhaps if I had asked about £50 and £40 as an example (and mentioned Cavendish Online) the answer may have been different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure