PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty - Additional Rate

Comments

• Strebor123
    Strebor123 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sparky130a wrote: »
    Is someone having a laugh?

I've never seen so many plans to try to circumnavigate a bit of tax on one board...

It's not like I'm asking to do something illegally. I just want to know if there's a way of avoiding it as it's not "a bit of tax"

I could have a new bathroom for the cost of the additional rate stamp duty.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    1. Your dad loans you £14k to be secured as a second charge on the property, with conditions as to its repayment.
    2. You buy the house.

A small set of lenders will allow this, Nationwide and Santander the two i know through personal experience. (I am the dad in this scenario)

That way your dad is never an owner and secodn charge for SDLT never comes into play.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Strebor123 wrote: »

I could have a new bathroom for the cost of the additional rate stamp duty.

Good. Get a new bathroom and stop involving your father who has multiple properties.
  • Strebor123
    sparky130a wrote: »
    Good. Get a new bathroom and stop involving your father who has multiple properties.

Not sure what your issue is?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure what your issue is?

Jealousy possibly?
  • Strebor123
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Jealousy possibly?

If it makes the dude feel any better, I don't want to sell my current house and get more help from my Dad but I've been lumped in a pretty crappy situation lol
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is your father in a position to make you a gift of the cash for a new bathroom as a PET?

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/potentially-exempt-transfers-facts/

From what you have said his estate is likely to give rise to a hefty IHT bill?
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Jealousy possibly?

I can assure you not.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If my Dad has a 10% share which equates to £14K does this mean we don't pay the higher rate, or is the chargeable consideration the whole value of the property?
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The former.
    So it seems like that option is out as the stamp duty would be too much for it to be worth doing.

Eh? I thought we had just established that you didn't need to pay the higher rate?
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 11:58AM
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Eh? I thought we had just established that you didn't need to pay the higher rate?
    eh?

2.4.2 establishes that:
    A) the purchase is a single transaction for joint purchasers (even if it was "split" it would be a linked transaction) with a (total) chargeable consideration >40k

B) we will assume it is not a leasehold property

C) the father owns multiple properties at least one of which we will assume is worth >40k

D) the purchase is not a new main home for father

so father causes the joint purchase to be a higher rate transaction, have you perhaps overlooked the next para?
    3.4.3 ......It does not matter how small the interest of a particular purchaser is, the test is applied in the same manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure