'supporting each other through really tough times'

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    At least I can get my long johns off easily:p:rotfl::oTMI...onesies could be a problem...though cosy. I've resisted so far.

I still may have my meal but I suddenly got the craving for toast and Marmite so I have just had three slices...:eek:and as for calorie counting I am already past 2,000 so I don't always stick to it nor count everything I eat or drink something:)

Having a really easy listening night of radio at present on an internet station and at 9pm Radio 2 starts their three hours of music that I like, good job I can listen/record both so what I miss can be heard later...

Sunday night is a night of really dreamy music and artists not heard much on mainstream radio and as buying music is rare these days...at least the internet gives me access to more than I could consider buying...mostly for free unless you count the £5 access costs weekly 24/7.

I did not see it live but if repeated on IPlayer I noticed the original pilot of Open all Hours was on BBC 2 earlier tonight...frightening that the programme is 40 years old!

Anyone like country music? There is a website from the States streaming to the UK 24/7 country videos...if your internet provider is happy to let you use the net that heavily...if anyone wants the link, just ask!
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • On the day we moved into our current house I popped up our dining room curtains and pinned them up as they were too long. They are still there , still pinned up and we have been here 13yrs this year :o
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pops - I dont know if you have access to an Ikea but if you do its worth checking there for curtains, their curtains are all extra long so will easily do your door etc, they are not hugely expensive either and are usually good quality too.
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Bother pressed go too soon!
    Re curtains having spoken to charity shops they don't put them out so DO ASK when you have measurements.
    Also consider Dun3lm m1ll5, B0und@ry M1ll5 and others. I ALWAYS puddle them. I have perfected the art of folding them up onto window sills and using various heavy "ornaments" like torches, plants and so on to ensure correct placement!

Food, I am currently educating myself about calories: it's interesting how much certain foods contain, especially stuff i tend to take for granted good to be aware of such things. My aim is to know such things so I make properly informed decisions about the things I put in my mouth.

I went to a school where we were all in together and streamed the year before CSEs for things like maths, french, which worked to everyone's advantage. Loads of different abilities, and some with definite SEN, autism and all sorts. We were not allowed to say derogatory things about people in lower sets, if you did then you were cut down to size pronto and given some hands on education about such issues. Same about sports Ability. Head of Sports was a truly scary lady, you did not make that mistake twice, she had interesting punishments! and they lasted whole terms! You learnt quickly about bullying, discrimination and its effects. She was a matriarch. Very fair and very effective!
    Interestingly If you were bright, you had to attend extra classes at lunchtimes.
    I do feel for the poor people who didn't have this option and even now still struggle with help. The system fails so many, even those who are bright?
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • kidcat
    Forumite
    On the day we moved into our current house I popped up our dining room curtains and pinned them up as they were too long. They are still there , still pinned up and we have been here 13yrs this year :o

Isnt it funny how these things play out Mrs VP, :D
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2013 at 9:15PM
    I think that happens a lot with curtains.;)I bet most of my curtains are 30+ years old. And were put up temporally.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Aaargh...I feel like I lost two days :(

DD persuaded me to go shopping with her BF's mum and her BF's 8 months pregnant sister in Cardiff yesterday...an early start...cos' it's two hours away, two hours without a personage in tow who needs every loo we passed en route!!! Also they'd agreed to meet relatives for lunch and coffee...which I didn't know (DD did but hadn't thought to tell me!) so got suckered into paying for lunch out which was a lot more than I'd have plumped for if I'd been choosing where we ate. I didn't get home until half ten...cos' the loo thing was repeated on the way home :eek: But it's given me the heads up not to let DD persuade me to do any long motorway journeys with HER in a few months! Was absolutely cream crackered when I got in, and fell straight into bed!

I lost today, because DS couldn't find an essential piece of paper this morning, and I went into the room of doom :eek: which was as bad as I've ever seen it. He agreed to let me help him look for the missing item, which I found on the bed straight away, but you know how it is...I cleared the plates out, took up a recycling bag, collected the washing, hoovered the whole thing out (it was filthy!!!) changed the bed, cleaned the windows, wiped the windowsills down etc. It was four PM by the time I finished... he was a pain in the bottom the whole time I was in there, good job I know that is a cover for his inadequacy at keeping it tidy! But suitably grateful when it was finished.

Then I made dinner :( that's my whole weekend..... Baking day tomorrow, Market day Tuesday! My life is very exciting - NOT.

I was told today that one of the local care homes needs help in the kitchen, so I've passed the message onto DD, and she's going to pop in looking all lovely and scrubbed with a c.v. tomorrow. I think she should be able to persuade someone to give her a six month contract. Then they won't have to get into maternity pay (I don't think?) They may well want someone permanent, but we were told they couldn't find anyone would work the weekend shifts? Got to be worth a try I thought. She's being very negative about how things are going to end up, she was driving me nuts while we were in the car yesterday. She knows darn well that neither me or her BF's mum would see her on the streets!!!

Right hot bath for me and off to bed, have one of those lovely books on the go at the moment, that you can't wait to get back to!

Kate
  • kidcat
    Forumite
    katie - if they are looking for permanent staff, she has no need to declare her pregnancy, yes it means they will have a maternity leave to cover but I get the idea that your DD wants to go back afterwards and so would be a good long term bet for them :)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086
    Forumite
    Thanks guys, I'm here and I'm fine!

Woke up to bright sun over the lake view. Fair enough, we didn't have a lake previously, we used to have a football field next door, but doesn't a water view increase property prices? :rotfl:

I've swept the branches and whatnot off the decks, some other poor soul has to clean up the lumps of tree from the communal driveway.

The map of road closures is all red closed signs, so glad we don't have to go anywhere.
    Cheapskate wrote: »
    Hope you're all coping with the rain now instead of the snow, including softstuff, we've rellies on the Gold Coast, but don't know how their weather is.
    Might be worth giving them a call Cheapskate. The local news said the Gold Coast was pretty hammered overnight with winds over 100km and up to 600mm rainfall. Not that that was everywhere or indeed that if they were in it, it did any harm, we took heavy wind and rain yesterday which is what headed their way last night and most of our region is ok.

Brisbane is in the firing like for flooding over the next day or two. There's likely to be plenty of run-off around my area so roads will be open and closed on and off. We're due "showers" (this translates to "rain" in UK terms), but that'll be fine.

As for curtains, it's a shame I'm not closer to you Pops, I take a perverse pleasure in shortening curtains, sewing by hand. I find it very relaxing. I agree you should check all the local charity shops, we get some lovely ones in over here, much better quality.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • kidcat
    Forumite
    softstuff - am so glad you are safe :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income